31

Ronit

I opened my eyes to find myself on the empty bed third time this week. I hated it. But what can you do if your wife is a workaholic? Nothing, you can only wish they notice you a little more as I do. I heard someone's footsteps coming inside. "Ronit, why are you still sleeping?" I heard her melodious voice waking me up. I pretend to sleep and she came closer to me. As she tried to get me up I pulled her into bed hovering above her.

"What are you doing?" She asked in surprise. "Good morning to you to Meri Pari. What I am doing is ogling my beautiful-looking wife." I told her kissing her lips. "Ronit, too early, let me go I have a meeting to prepare for." She complained. "don't you dare walk away from me Pari, I know after that night all you are trying to do is avoid me. I cannot let you do that." She looked at me with a smile.

"I am not, I am busy with work it is that only. Why you are concern with it anyway? I mean it is not like I am doing something wrong. One of us has to work." I moved my hands inside her shirt. She shivered. "Yes, to make two of us, the three of us Meri Pari. I think you know what I mean. I want to start a family of my own with you. To have someone who will call me dad? And run to me with his or her report card as soon as I come home?" She pushed me away.

"It is not possible Ronit." She said sitting up. "What happened between us in Hawaii was just that, a fluke. Nothing more." Why are you breaking my heart, Pari? All I want is you. And I don't know how long I can fight for your affections this way. "It wasn't a fluke or a mistake Anvi, I wanted it to happen and so did you. And if you don't know it yet, I am still very much married to you. So, I would appreciate it if you do not do this with me."

"I am not doing anything. I am protecting you." She said in a calm voice. I hate how calm she can be in these situations. "From what? Yourself? I do not need protection from you. I do not need anything from you. Other than your love." She looked at me. "What if I cannot love Ronit? I wasn't made for love. I wasn't made for happiness." She said and I felt something wet on my hand. "Don't cry. I am sorry Pari. Sorry, I know you are not ready for this yet. Ok, when you are ready, we will start a family together. I am sorry, I am sorry." I said pulling her into a hug.

It was too soon to tell her this. Too soon to say anything like this. "I am sorry too. I know you want me like that. I know you want me next to you. I want to do that too. But I am very afraid that something bad will happen. And I will lose it all. Everything I ever wanted to have was a family to call my own." She whispered. "But I am afraid to lose it all Ronit. I am so afraid." I stroked her hair. "It's ok, we will not talk about it anymore now until you feel comfortable. Now tell me what you like to eat. I will tell my secretary to book us a table at your favorite restaurant."

She smiled "I am afraid your secretary wants you for herself." "Then I shall book the hotel suite for her and me and do the wicked with her on the bed of roses and champagne, maybe some wine and red sheets and nothing." She hit me on the chest hiding her face in it. "What? If that is what it takes to make me see my beautiful wife and secretary into something, I have bought for her then be it. Now tell me, ok? I will take you out for lunch." She shook her head.

 "Today is Wednesday and every Wednesday it is a tradition to have lunch with the entire floor. We contribute and eat together." "Alright, but do tell me before leaving alright Pari, so where we are, yes I was about to kiss you and then make out a little." I pulled her close just as I heard someone's voice.

"My eyes, would you please close the door before doing something like this?" Neev asked and she looked away pulling back. "Neev, I was about to make breakfast, anything you like to have?" She asked. "Nothing, you can make anything you like to." She turned to me. "Any preferences Mr. Bajaj?" Yes, you. "No, nothing Pari, go on and take your time we are only going to the airfield today," I told her and she left looking at us one last time.