46

Anvi

I sat down on the couch looking at my husband and then at Harsh. Both of them are silent for a while now. This was what I was afraid to face. Both of them in the same room without any resistance is a bad thing. No one knows what can happen, no one knows what can go wrong. And that was what I was afraid of. There isn't anything logical about the male ego. The only logic in that is not to get in between.

"What is it that really got you back here and do not say that it was only because of the case." I can hear dissatisfaction in Ronit's voice. He wasn't happy neither was I. But it was for a very different reason. My own husband deceived me. I didn't want to come here and meet Harsh like this. If it was in his police station, it would have been professional but here, it feels way more personal than it should.

"I don't know what you are meaning when you ask that question to me, Mr. Bajaj." Ronit glared at that sentence of Harsh. "I know that you know where I am pointing my finger at." Now, they are acting like a bunch of five-year-olds. "You know what? I have some work to do for the office. So, continue your bickering and I will be on my way." I told them. "No" Both of them exclaimed in unison.

"Now, can we discuss why we are here really? What is really going on with the case?" I asked looking at both of them. "Yes, sure. I mean if you wish to I can discuss my findings with you." Harsh suggested. "And what have you found other than the fact that my father was killed and I was the one who had witnessed it," I asked him. "And the fact that her father knew who had killed my father, that is why he was assassinated this way," Ronit added.

"Here is what I know, consider it as a working theory," Harsh said looking at us. Ronit held my hand interlacing our fingers. "From the pieces of evidence I have gathered, it strongly suggests that it is someone they had known very well. Because I have heard the recording of your father's statement." He told looking in my direction.

"What have you heard?" I asked knowing that whatever comes out of his mouth might not be what we like to hear. Whatever it was going to destroy relationships. "Your father when came there I wasn't present at the time. But I was allowed to stay with the investigation but not all was disclosed to me. Then it happened and I had to move away. If I hadn't then your life would be in danger." He sounded too frantic.

"Did the person called you again?" Ronit asked Harsh. "No, that was only one time when he had called me." Harsh replied. I wonder what it was about. "Now, what I am going to ask you next will sound a little weird but it is important that I know this very tiny detail," Ronit asked and I must say that inquiry left me in shock too. Why is he asking that?

"Yes, I remembered distinctively. It was a man." Ronit looked worried more than he was before. He almost slumped back in his seat. I think something is wrong with him. "What is wrong Ronit?" I asked. "The time you got kidnapped they told you there was a boss that you will be delivered to. I never in my life would have made this connection. If it was not for you saying that a man had called and threatened you about her." Ronit said to us.

"I don't understand she got kidnapped? When? How? What you were doing?" Harsh asked and his eyes were trained on my husband. "I was going to a party because I had my girlfriend's birthday that night," Ronit said not looking at either of us. I know he was ashamed of that particular incident but how could he know I have this much baggage with me. He shouldn't have been part of it, any of it in the first place.

"It wasn't his fault. I told him I can attend the charity gala alone that night. He couldn't have left her there for me. It is not fair to him. He did save me and that is something no one asked him to do." I told Harsh, not letting go of Ronit's hand. I do not wish for him to feel guilty because of this. "I don't blame him for anything." I felt Ronit rubbing his thumb over the back of my palm. It is his nervous gesture to play with my hands and my fingers.