4

Anvi

His words should have shocked me. My husband who had just signed those papers claiming that I am his wife, asking till when I have to be married to him before he can discard me. "I am sorry what exactly are you asking?" I didn't look at him. I cannot look into his eyes.

 "He is asking about when he can apply for a divorce. It is not a real marriage at all." I paraphrased his sentence for them to understand. He looked at me sharply and I looked down again.

"According to me, you need to stay married to her for a year at least." A year, three hundred and sixty-five days. I have to play the part of Mrs. Bajaj. I have very much not ready for it. "May I keep one request?" I asked them. 

"What more you wish to destroy in my life?" I wish you knew what my life is going through. Maybe you have thought about not blaming me. I tried to convince your mother. And she said I had no right even to speak in her presence.

"Please don't inform my family. I will tell them where I am, as there are no pictures taken of me, no one knows I am married..." "In papers, only in name, I don't think you have anything in you to be my wife." I flinched at his voice. Neev looked at me wearily. I look at him in a reassuring manner.

 "In papers yes, sir. So please keep my family out of this." He laughed at that. "Oh, you are funny Anvi, after dragging my family's name through the mud, you expect me to leave yours alone. No Anvi, they have to answer for raising you as they did."

"Brother, I pled you don't take out your anger on her. Do not take out your frustration on her, and I want you to keep her request. I hope you will keep my word." I backed away, I needed to get myself out of this situation. My phone rang breaking the silence. "Hello" I answered wiping my eyes. "Miss Anvi Choudhury?" The voice said to me. 

"Yes speaking," I told him. "Mam, this is ACP Avinash, I will be handling your case, can you come down to the station there are few things I need to go down with you." He told me.

"May I come down tomorrow, I am still recovering sir." I requested. "sure, no problem mam, as you wish, we will meet soon" I looked at my phone. How am I supposed to do that without letting anyone know?

 "I will be leaving tomorrow, without her." Oh, he is not taking me. "What do you mean not taking her with you, she is your wife, she is your responsibility for the next year. And you are going to take her with you. It is not up for discussion Ronit."

I looked at Neev, he was deep in thought. Neev looked at me and walked towards me. "There is a new ACP Neev, he is handling the case. I need to go down to the station and..." "I will take you to the station when you need to go there?" he asked. 

 "Tomorrow," I told him. "Alright, I will take you tomorrow morning. Now, you go and take some rest alright Sehezaadi, I am with you always. Never you forget that." He placed a kiss on my forehead which didn't go unnoticed by my supposed husband and their mother.

"Neev, she is your brother's wife." Her mother shouted and raised her hand to hit me. Surprisingly enough, Ronit was the one who held it. "She is my wife; you pose no right to hit her. And even if you cannot see, Neev is her best friend. I think he has every right to comfort her in the situation you put her into just for your personal gain. Until the end of three hundred and sixty-five days, she is under my protection." Yes, but who would protect me from you?

I pulled back and walked towards my assigned room. I needed to get my thoughts together. I need to get myself ready to survive yet again. When I came here, it wasn't what I thought is going to happen.

 When I went to that university and taken my course as an aeronautical engineer, I wanted to touch the skies. I wanted to go far, be in the aviation industry and later maybe I could be a pilot. I wanted to be the girl my father believed I can be. Not to defined by my past, always looking into my present. But I am not that girl anymore. Not after tonight.