21

Ronit

Anvi looked at me with surprise. "What is it Mr. Bajaj?" she asked in utter surprise. "Just what it looks like Mrs. Anvi Bajaj. I am celebrating your birthday." She was still in shock when Neev rolled in the cake. Perfect, just as I planned it all to be. She had no idea why I had dressed her up in an outfit I bought for her. Or the gift I had bestowed upon her. I like that clueless self of hers. And more than that I like the look of surprise on her face that she has right now.

"Thank you but how did you know?" She is truly clueless. "You needed to submit a few of the documentation for the visa? And I saw your birth date when Neev and I went to the Visa office. I remembered it. So, when you sacrificed your own birthday for my happiness, I thought a person like that deserves a celebration like this." I whispered just for her to hear. "I don't know what to say to this Mr. Bajaj" I smiled at that.

"Say yes for the first dance, that's all I want. Meri Shehzaadi, but first let's cut the cake." Since my brother called her his princess, I thought why not make her a cake in the shape of a crown. It was a joke but the amazement in her eyes warmed my heart. She cut the cake and Neev and I fed her little pieces of it. She took one piece and fed Neev first. It made my heart, ache and that feeling of jealousy had returned again.

"I don't know if I should feed you in front of your girlfriend, sir." I saw Tanvi was standing far away from us talking about something to someone. "By all means, I wanted to taste that cake since I have seen it in pictures. It looks yummy absolutely delicious." She held the cake to my face and I just opened my mouth to eat it when someone pushed her down.

"Anvi..." I shouted. And then looked at the culprit. Tanvi was looking at her angrily. "Tanvi, what are you doing? Have you gone mad for some reason?" I helped Anvi to get up. She had pulled back almost immediately. "The question is what are you doing and why are you doing all this Ronit. You have organized this celebration for me. And here you are celebrating her birthday? The maid's birthday?" She turned around to face Anvi.

"You think just because you had worn some nice clothes you will be able to stand next to my Ronit? You will be able to win his affections? You got the right to ruin my birthday party?" And then she pulled the cake that I had spent so many hours designing with the baker that was ruined because of her selfishness. All the happiness from Anvi's eyes had vanished. "They're done, happy no so happy birthday Anvi. Next year I will not see you again."

"Tanvi" I raise my hand to slap her but Anvi held my hand. "She is right, I shouldn't be here, you shouldn't be celebrating me. You shouldn't have done it. For me, all of it was ruined. For me, all these things, all these beautiful things that we both planned so much about is ruined." Her eyes watered and it was like someone had been stabbing me over and over again. All I wanted was to celebrate her birthday. The first birthday she ever shared with me. Was it wrong of me to do that?

Anvi ran out of the place. And Neev left afterward. What has she done? "Now that she had left, can someone please clear this mess? I have a dance to attend to with my boyfriend." Tanvi said calmly. "I am not in mood Tanvi." I pulled my hand away. "But it is my birthday celebration. You cannot just..." "Watch me walk away, after what you did to that poor soul I cannot be here and enjoy. I just wanted her to feel a little happy after what had gone down with her. And you had to ruin it"

Tanvi placed her hands on my face. I took them off. " Come on Ronit, she is a maid, a temporary arrangement and sorry to say that, but she claims to be your wife but she always with your brother. Probably the people who kidnapped her were there because she had done something like that to them. With a girl like them, you can never ever be sure about it." I distanced myself from her. How can she say such vile words for such an innocent soul?