11

Ronit

I had a fight with Tanvi again when I left her for the day. I needed to go on and check on my brother. I walked inside my penthouse to find it deathly silent. But it shouldn't be this silent. I looked at the time. It was four in the morning. I was trying to make her understand all night long. But Tanvi didn't wish to listen to any word I say. Her only demand is that I give my time to her as I used to before. But how could I make her understand that my brother is important too?

Anvi never ever throws a fit when I leave her alone. She never gets irritated when I take my brother away with me. She even canceled her plans with him so that I can spend time with my brother. Why cannot Tanvi too be a little understanding like her from time to time? And then there was that incident, maybe if I had taken Anvi with us, then she might have been with us and we have noticed the signs of the illness.

I walked to her room to see if Neev was still with her. And I found the door open. I walked in as quietly as I could. I saw Neev was holding her in his arms. She was holding him too like he was her giant stuffed toy. They looked so comfortable together. I should be happy that she is not exactly coming to claim her right as my wife.

But for some reason them together like this making me angry. I have no idea why? I don't like her; I don't want her but all I want to do is pull them away from each other so I don't pull out my own hairs in frustration. Maybe it is because I didn't get to have this with my girlfriend ever. I was always busy, or she was emotionally unavailable. But look at them, he traveled so long just to be here for her.

Could I do that for Tanvi ever? Can Tanvi do it for me? Can we both ever feel that much connected as these two, and they aren't even a couple? I walked back out slowly but then my eyes landed on her pill bottles. Some of which I told my driver to buy and another from before. I saw the levels I couldn't quite identify. "What this is for?" I pulled one and searched for that with google.

"Sleeping pills? Why does she need sleeping pills? And why I haven't seen her with these before?" I moved out of the room. I was confused, if she had a problem why I never saw visiting a doctor? But maybe the pills were with her, maybe it was my brother who had bought them with him? Or purchased it with the prescription? There were lots of questions going through my mind and most I have no idea if someday I would able to answer ever in my life.

The next morning, I woke up with the smell of cooking. And it reminded me of the doctor's word. Keep her away from heat. I sprang into action. And walked towards the kitchen. I saw my brother wearing a cooking apron holding a spoon. "what are you doing?" I asked and he looked at me. "What it looks like? I am cooking." He retorted.

"Whatever just don't burn anything. And please cook something we can eat." I told him. And then I saw her walking out of the room in a red churidar, her hands adorned with red bangles the same one she is wearing from the day of our marriage that she needs to wear for a little while now. And that red vermillion that she wore fell on her nose a little. Her legs adorned with ballet flats and anklets which I am sure I haven't seen her wearing before. She is dressed up and that isn't for me. Her hairs were still wet from the shower. And I saw her bandages were fresh too. Probably Neev redressed them.

"I am off to the office, there much to do there Neev." She said not noticing me. I don't know since when I became this much invisible to her eyes. "Not without your breakfast Shehzaadi. I have made your favorite paratha, and here is raita, I hope you like it. Now, open your mouth and let me feed you." I don't know why I felt this insane kind of rage within me. I had to look away. I had to look away from my brother and my wife. She isn't my wife, no she is just an arrangement. Then why I am feeling this way?

"Neev, come on, I cannot eat more. Stop making me grow into a ball." He laughed. "But I like you that way, at least it was like I was cuddling a soft toy of my own." "Neev" She shouted throwing the spoon at him which he caught. "Come on, this is how you treat one who feeds you? Consider me done for the rest of your life. I am not feeding you again." He turned around not facing her anymore. "Achha mere Shehzaade, I am sorry. See I am holding my ears. Do you want me to do uthak bhaithak for you? See I am doing it" And she held her ears sitting on her knees and then getting up. And repeating it again.