39

Ronit

I saw Avni was pacing around. She was looking at herself in the mirror. But then she again begins to pace around. "What is it? Is it about the police? Or is it about something else? Tell me, what is going on with you lately?" She looked at me finally and shook her head and begin pacing again. "Tell me please so that I can solve whatever is ailing you." She didn't stop pacing. Then I held her hand only to stop her. But I wasn't expecting her to hold me and shiver like that.

I now am very sure that something is very wrong with her. I don't how to get her to talk to me. Since she doesn't exactly is that much open with me. For a while, I thought that I should call Neev and that she might tell him something. Then it occurred to me that I cannot run to my brother anything that is happening between us. She is my wife and if I cannot assure her that I will be there when she needs me then, I might not deserve to stay with her. So, I sat there and let her relax in my arms.

"Ronit I am afraid." She whispered. "Afraid why? I am here next to you right? You don't need to be afraid Pari." She pulled back and touched my face. "that is why I am afraid. I am very afraid that what happened with Neev, could happen with you." That made me raise my brow and then I remembered the situation she was in when I met her for the first time. The night that had changed all of it. That night led to this. It led to us becoming husband and wife. "You don't have to worry about this ok? I will find it. I promise." She sobbed more "It was exactly what Neev had said before, but then he got hurt trying to save me. I do not want that to happen to you." She told me.

I wanted to say that I am not afraid of anything but that was not true, I am afraid, and I do not wish for her to know that. "I promise meri Pari, now, I know you are disturbed with the arrival of the inspector and after what happened today it was intense. I know no one can think straight after that. That was something I am assured of. But you, my love, have excelled. You managed to stay upright when my mother was grilling you." Avni looked at me at the dazed state. "hush now, close your eyes and go to sleep." She shook her head. "Don't do this, Anvi. You are tired and you need to sleep. I know you are not sleeping well since that night when you almost got kidnapped.

"The day you had deliberately destroyed your girlfriend's expensive gift to save your wife that you use to hate?" she summarized the whole incident in one whole sentence. She is very clever to have I ever told you that? "Yes, and you were traumatized. You were getting up to therapy with Neev, I know about that. So, I have talked to a good doctor and she advised me to let you have a good night's sleep. That you only get if someone puts you to sleep. I have seen that Neev used to do that. And if he doesn't then, you get horrible nightmares." She looked shocked. "I too sleep beside you and time after time I have noticed how terrified you look if you when you wake up from the bed. You can share anything that you like to. I have promised you now and always that I am here right next to you, haven't I?" I tried to assure her that everything will be alright.

"Tell me what had happened to Neev?" She looked up and I saw how her eyes turned red. "Last time when the police called us to identify the killer, Neev was there with me." She stood up and turned around looking at the horizon. The city was shrouded in the darkness. And nothing was visible in the night other than the twinkling stars. "That night Neev offered to drive me towards the Police station. They have called me in to ask me if any one of those people were involved with my father's murder." That is something Neev had forgotten to mention to me. I wonder how many things he had forgotten in due time to tell me. I have no idea. But I think, there must be a fair reason for hiding all these.

"Did you got anyone of them?" She looked at me with glassy eyes. "No, not one but something else had happened that made me question myself if I was approaching the matter the right way." I stood up and pulled her in my arms. She hugged me tightly. "That night Neev and I got into so much trouble. It was like all of it was a setup. All of it was only to make sure I do not open my mouth about that any further. I don't know why, my father wasn't someone important to anyone. I don't know why he had to die this way." She looked so fragile and all I wanted was to protect her at all costs. I wanted to protect her.