54

Anvi

My eyes opened and I found white surrounding me. It was like I was stuck in a nightmare. How did I manage to end up at this very place? I cannot get it, no matter how much I try and put my head around this thing, I never manage to figure out why my life is so disastrous.

I tried to move but the pain blinded me. I cried out loud. And then someone pressed the button on the side of the bed. And then I felt people come in. And I struggled more.

Then I felt someone's hand over my head. And then I heard his voice. "Relax Sehezaadi. They are not trying to hurt you. You shall feel good." He said softly. Then I felt my eyes close again, darkness inclosing on me from all around.

The next moment I opened my eyes I met with beautiful dark blue ones. Ronit was sitting next to my bed reading something. He had his glasses on with papers in his hands that he was still focusing on. Then he looked at me this time his gaze stayed on. He put the papers down and walked towards me.

He bent down and pressed his lips over my forehead. "Hey," He said moving back. "I kind of missed you from my side." My eyes watered seeing him. He had grown thin, and his eyes had dark circles underneath them. "Hey, yourself," I said and he placed another kiss this time over my lips. "I missed you, Pari. Do you think it is a good idea to leave me alone wondering why I have left you alone with him there? That my last memory of you will haunt me forever?" he asked.

"I am sorry" I whispered as my eyes watered. "No, Pari, I am sorry for leaving you like that. Never again I make this mistake. I promise you that. I am not making that mistake." He moved back as the doctor came in. He checked me. "Any pain anywhere?" I looked at Ronit and he smiled. "No, not much doctor. I am feeling well surprisingly after..." "That is good Mrs. Bajaj. The accident was nasty. It is a miracle that you survived." He said writing something over his clipboard.

How nasty was it on a scale of one to ten?

Do I even wish to know?

The doctor left and Ronit sat beside me. "Where is Neev and..." Both of them are working on the case. In my mother's case, there is more than one incriminating evidence found in her case. They are both investigating it." What evidence? The only evidence that could have incriminated her was with my mother and Ronit and my mom...

They do not get along.

"Ronit did you go to Kolkata?" I asked him. He scratched the back of his neck. "Might have and might have talked to your mother as well?" He said sheepishly. "And she did not murder you." He shook his head. Then a hint of a smile touched his lips. "No, Pari, she didn't. Because she knew it would hurt you, for you love me so very much."

I placed my hand over his cheek. "Oh Ronit, what have you done to yourself?" I asked. "It is not like you not to take care of yourself this way. The entire empire depends on you." "But I depend on you, Shehzaadi, I depend on you, my heart had forgotten its beating, my soul had been sucked out of my body, my mind couldn't think anything but your thoughts, I wasn't whole for my other half was lost." My eyes watered.

"I am sorry Ronit, for everything I did. I..." He kissed me and I kissed back, till my injuries reminded me I needed to give it a few more days before indulging into something like this. He pulled back muttering sorry again under his breath. "You are beautiful." He whispered holding my hand. "Thank you for this, Ronit, it was so nice of you."

"I did not do it for you, I did it for me. I was selfish in doing it. I was so selfish, my love." He said as I heard someone clear their throat. I looked at the door and there she was standing my mom, with Harsh and Neev. "Mind if I take my daughter from you, Mr. Bajaj?" She asked. "Mom. You are..." I tried to sit up but ended up hurting myself. "Anvi, be careful." Ronit scolded me. "By this time, you know even if I consider you my superwoman, you are not that in reality." And all of them looked at him.

I looked away red coating my cheeks. "Lie down that is not a request, Pari." My mom came and sat beside me. "Mom, what are you doing here?" "Came to see my accident-prone daughter. You are more accident-prone than your father. I wonder how your husband still looks handsome after staying a year with you." She said sternly.

"Easy, he knows I can protect myself and him when it comes to that. That is why he has chosen his weapon-yielding dangerous wife in place of his safe maintenance girlfriend." And all of them begin to laugh.

Later that day Harsh came in with some files for me to sign. "How are you doing?" He asked. I can see the same love in his eyes for me and the same concern that he had when we started dating. "I am strapped on a bed, not able to move and help Neev and you. How I might feel?" "Grumpy and cranky, I get it Anvi, but it is to keep you safe. After the last incident, no one wishes for you to get near this, not even your mother-in-law." He stated.

Then he looked at me with a mischievous glint in his eyes. "But I know that is not going to stop you. Will it, Anvi Bajaj?" I shook my head. "Good, study them, and tell me what you find out. If you get any clue to solve all this mystery around this case, that started with Ronit's father. Then your father's case was added, might not seem related but they are related. Then, the incidents surrounding you, it was all related." I know that much. I kind of figured it all out.

Neev had come to take me home. But in reality, it was the apartment that Neev had used to keep me hidden first. It was transformed everywhere with welcome home flyers banners and signs. And whatnot. It was a little overwhelming and then I saw Ronit in a chef's hat and apron bringing in the cake. "Baked it myself Shehzaadi." He said and kissed my forehead. "Welcome home."

The rest of the day passed in a blur I did not even get a chance to look at the papers again. The evidence was with me now. Later that night Ronit, Neev, and I finished cleaning up, and they did, I was on strict bed rest and then Neev left both of us alone.

Ronit picked me up and took me to the bedroom. "I can walk," I told him. "But how can I let you Shehzaadi seeing that you are my Shehzaadi and you deserve royal treatment." He placed me on the bed. "Mrs. future CEO, you need to be kept in one piece."

"Future CEO?" I asked. "Shehzaadi, the airlines that your father and my father had worked for, is not only the place of their work, it was a place they and another person founded together. So, that means, you, I, and whoever the third person is are partners." He settled down beside me. "I don't want any part in it. It is something my father and your father had died for." I said and he squeezed my hand.

"I am getting it anyway. I am not going to let something my father dreamed of having fall into ruins, besides, with mine and your expertise Mrs. Anvi Ronit Bajaj, it would be a breeze." I sighed. "You already started the take over haven't you?" He nodded.

"Your mother helped me with it." He said covering me with a duvet. "She knew all the technicalities." I nodded holding him and placing my head over his chest. "I am sorry that we fought," I whispered. "I am sorry too for not listening to you. Apparently, you are the smarter one." I hit him over the chest and he cried out. I pulled back and before he could protest unbuttoned his shirt.

"Ronit, what is this?" There was a large bandage above his chest. "What happened?" I asked. "The transition had met with some resistance and I might have gotten shot?" He said as if it was a very casual thing to do. He gets shot every time he takes over a business.

"The third part wasn't complying." He added. "So, you could have backed off. Why do you need to do all these things Ronit?" I asked. "It is a flesh wound, no need to worry. Don't spike your blood pressure, Pari." "And where is this person who had shot you?" I asked. "In custody."

Something to work with, that is good.

"Now you don't go planning to kill him in your head Shehzaadi. I know you want to but you cannot." I smiled in response. "When I do not listen to you?" I asked. He pulled me closer to him. "This time, do listen to me, alright Pari?" I nodded and held him again, promising that this time, they would not take Ronit away from me.

I will not let them. I will not let anyone take him away from me. 

Word Count: 1620 Words