2.

He felt safer in the cover of darkness.

River couldn't help himself.

The female's scent stayed with him through his whole day. He couldn't hunt, tend to his cave, or check the rest of his territory without thinking of her.

He slipped quietly through the woods, back to the clearing. He stepped lightly, to make sure he left no tracks for her to find, even though he didn't he would mind it, if she did.

He saw a light coming from the place she slept. The outline of her body could be seen through the material.

River frowned. Did she not know it was going to be cold soon? Surely that material couldn't keep her safe and warm.

The poor thing would freeze in a couple of weeks. He sniffed the air, maybe even days.

The animals had already begun to settle in for their winter sleep. River didn't think he'd seen a bear in days.

He could hear the sound of her voice. She was speaking to herself. River moved closer to the clearing, daring to step near the place she slept.

From what River could tell, the new coming female was happy inside her own little world. He smirked. She had no idea how much danger she could be in right now. One roar from deep in his chest, would send her back to where she came from.

Surely a male missed this female. River steeped into the clearing. He took in more scent, but nothing came to him as male. She wasn't claimed.

I could if... He pushed the thought away. No, no, no... She was a pest and should be dealt with promptly. Nothing besides his own and the creatures of the forest were allowed in here.

River's frown deepened. He hated when his Father's voice echoed in his head.

Dealt with?

This female was no bigger than a deer. She came up to his waist and he knew he had at least three hundred pounds on her.

Dealt with?

River caught himself before he grunted with disgust. Am I supposed to kill her?

He couldn't see himself harming a single hair on the top of her head. She was frail and weak. River couldn't scare her away, she'd run back and tell her own. They'd come for him with sharp knives and fire. He shook his head.

Harm her? He wanted to do the exact opposite and River wasn't exactly sure what that meant.

Inching closer to the material, he could hear her breathing. River listened to her breath catch. She was crying.

What could have happened while I was away?

River would find what caused the distress of the poor female and stomp it. Stomp it so many times, there would be no telling it from the dirt beneath his toes.

River raised his giant hand and it hovered above the little nest the female had built.

Movement came from inside and his heart lurched into his throat as she unzipped the entrance.

River froze and watched her stand up, wiping her face as she went over to the nearby bushes. Why is she hiding behind that tree?

River ducked behind the material the best he could. The smell of her scent came stronger and the sound of her urinating filled the quiet night.

He chuckled.

The female came back from around the tree and crawled back inside.

River didn't breath just yet. Slowly he backed away. That was too close.