16.

Crow and Calla packed what they were allowed to take. Usually the only giants who left the village were one's who were forced to.

Crow couldn't stand the politics.

Calla didn't like the pressure placed upon her to be a perfect female.

"Please don't go." Her mother had begged her. "You are my only child, how will I ever see my grandchildren?"

"You'd rather we stay and be miserable, just so you won't have to make a trip down to see grandchildren? I may never have a child mother."

"You kill me, Calla. You kill me with your words."

"You can travel south. We will leave markings when you are near."

The weather was good. It was early spring. That would give them enough time to find a decent cave and prepare themselves for winter . Carefully they picked their way down from the mountain and began their search for a new home.

Crow had a long passed Uncle, who had told him stories of a beautiful cave he had once. It had many passageways, a hot pond to bathe in, and a cool river. It kept it's section of the cavern cool enough to store meat for days.

"Crow, if you ever go. Follow the arched trees. You will not see the door, it will blend into the rock. I'm sure by now, the moss has grown over even more. I left three distinct cuts in the stone. It will take all of your strength, but roll the stone and you will find my old home."

His uncle had only returned to the village to die. He did so, not long after revealing his secret home to his nephew, who looked ready to run. 

~~~~

The couple was having their first fight. Calla was tired. They walked for days and days, sometimes in circles looking for the "perfect cave" Crow kept talking on and on about.

They passed by so many amazing caves, it was making Calla very frustrated.

"Look! The arched trees!"

Hope ignited in her belly. Finally they found something. She examined the trees pulled together forming their arch. She ran her hand over the moss. This was definitely an old marking of giants. The stone used to hold the top of the trees done, hadn't been moved in decades.

"How long did your Uncle live here?"

"Two hundred years. He kept it well protected from humans."

"How old are you, Crow?"

"Eighty nine." Crow said and looked back to the much younger female. "Does that bother you?" It wasn't uncommon for an older male to claim a much younger female, but it did mean if the ancestors allowed it, she would eventually be alone.

Calla shook her head. He had sixty seven years on her. No wonder he knew so much about the forest. She would be lying if she told him she didn't notice around the village. He held his head and moved his body in such a royal way, you'd think he was related to the chief. She had always found him attractive. His dark brown skin, glistened in the sun. His jet black hair was so thick, she could run her hands through it for days.

It saddened her a little that he never noticed her before the dancing in town, but she couldn't blame him. Her scent hadn't changed yet. Her first blood passed the night before. Now she was of breeding age. It was ok for males to notice her now.

Calla was extremely pleased when he decided to take her.

"I think we are getting close."