23.

The tracks were everywhere.

Trees that have long been arched, were huge. Weird structures were built and placed in random places as if put there to warn unwelcome visitors.

Stacked rocks, slashes in trees, and a musty smell lingered in the air.

Azzalea took a deep breath and shot a worried look to River. "Why are we here?"

River smiled and took a deep breath himself. They were being watched. He could feel it and occasionally caught a glimpse of a shadow usually off to the side. The smell of other giants hit his nose with something fierce.

The Tribe must have already done a patrol, marking trees with their strong urine to ward off intruders and big predators.

He glanced down at his mate, who clung to his hand for her life. She was terrified. He could feel her anxiousness coming from her. River brought Azzalea's hand up to his face and planted a kiss on it. Not just to bring her whatever comfort he could, but to let whoever was stalking them know, that he was willing to die for this female.

"Go no further, Giant."

River wrapped his arm around his mate, who huddled against him. The roar scared her.

Azzalea nearly pissed herself when the roar came from all around them. She couldn't tell if it was just one sasquatch or many. "Let's go home." She whimpered against River's fur.

Rover turned and looked as a huge giant emerged from the dark forest. He noticed some shadows from the other side, but they didn't show themselves. The male wore the darkest fur he had ever seen. His beard and hair so long, River couldn't tell when it ended.

The male eyed him suspiciously. "You smell familiar, but the beast by your side does not. She smells of a giant, but of another creature as well. Answer for yourself and your presence in these woods."

River straightened his back. "I am River. Son of Crow who is son of Dew. I will answer only to the Chief."

A growl of recognition came from the male. "Son of Crow. I remember Crow, son of Dew. Mated to Calla, daughter of Briar."

"Does Briar still live?" River inquired of his grandfather.

"Yes, he lives."

"I need to speak with the Chief and the council of elders." River raised his chin.

The older male growled in his chest. "You may enter, but your beast must remain." 

River chuckled and got a suspicious look from the male. "No." That was the only thing he was sure of. There was no way he was going to leave his pregnant mate alone in the woods, with random giant males around. She was too precious and too frail. There was no way she could defend herself if they lost their minds and decided to attack. He would turn around and leave if they denied her entry.

"No?" The male cocked his head to the side. "And why? We are no harm to anyone. She is the outsider here, not you."

River gently pushed Azzalea away from his body. He pulled her hood down.

The older male and several of the shadows gasped as the human female was exposed to them. She raised her fearful eyes up to the giant that stood in their way. "Hello." She whispered and looked to River.

"We are mated and she carries my youngling."

"A human?"

"My human."

~~~~~

The air was tense. Azzalea had watched more sasquatches emerge from the dark to get a better look at her. She could feel River growling deep in his chest as they neared. The big one who had come out first held his giant hand up in the air and they all stopped moving.