18

Anabella's pov:

I was checking the demon activity when Jace and Clary appeared in front of me through a portal.

"Magnus got so tired of you that he send you back?" I asked a smirk on my face.

"No." Jace said and I raised a brow. "Ok maybe that too." 

"We got attacked by a shax demon." Clary said.

I felt myself worrying.

"By the Angel. Are you two ok? What happened?" I asked worried.

"We found Ragnor and he went to search for a special book with spells when he....." Clary said but stopped.

"When he what? What happened Clary? Is Ragnor ok? Is Magnus ok?" I asked, feeling more worried by any minute.

"Magnus is ok." Clary assured me.

"But Ragnor, was attacked by the shax demon." Jace said looking down.

"W-what?" I said as a whisper. "Is he- is he gonna be ok? He is just hurt right?" I asked trying to be positive but when I looked at their faces all I could see was pity. "Right?" I asked demanding an answer.

"Anna....Ragnor is dead." Jace said.

I felt the tears starting to roll down my face. "No it can't be. He couldn't. He can't be." I said the tears rolling faster. Clary got closer to me and gave me a hug. "How could it happen?" I asked whispering in her shoulder.

"My opinion, I guess we have a mole in the Institute" Jace said.

At that my eyes shot open. "What did you said?" I asked anger present in my voice. "Why do you think that?" I asked suspicious. The accusation was grave and it could lead to the falling apart of the In stitute.

"Nobody knew about our mission, except from us. The attack couldn't be a coincidence." Jace said.

"But everybody here is your family. Why would they betray you?" I asked trying to know what he was thinking.

Jace looked in the direction of Lydia. "Some are soon to be family." Jace said.

"You think Lydia is the mole?" I asked not sure what to believe. "You think she will betray everyone to side with Valentine?" 

"You say it yourself this morning, sometimes she has two faces." Jace said.

"Yea, with me. That doesn't mean that she will side with a warlock and decide to kill a warlock." I said frustrated.

I didn't knew what to believe. Lydia was always cold towards me, and sometimes I thought that she would do anything to hurt me or see me crumble slowly. I just shook my head and went to the exit.

"Where are you going?" Clary asked.

"I am going to visit a friend." I said heading to the door. 

When I was almost there I heard a voice.

"Anna?" 

I turned around too see the future groom walking to me. "Where are you going?" He asked me.

"To Magnus. We lost someone important to us both and I don't want to leave him to grieve alone." I said looking down.

Alec smiled at me warmly and hugged me. I was surprised but soon I returned the gesture. "It's very kind of you Bella." Alec said.

My eyes shot in shock when I heard the nickname he used.

"Bella?" I repeated shocked as I pulled from his embrace.

"Yeah. You know...from Anabella. I hope it's not a bad thing." Alec said shyly as he rubbed the back of his neck nervous.

"Not at all. I was just surprised. From what I heard from my grandma, my father was the one who chose to call me Bella and was the only one to call me that." I explained, remembering the dream.

"You miss him, don't you?" Alec asked.

"IT's hard to miss someone you didn't know. All I have about him are his stuff and stories from my grandma. All I want it's just that, we had more time together." I said rubbing one of my arm in comfort.

"Hey." Alec said grabbing one of my hands and rubbing it with his thumb. "I am sure that even if he was alive or not, he would be so proud of the woman you are today. I know I would if I would have a daughter like you." Alec smiled warmly at me.

I started to feel heat in my cheeks as I looked at his smile. I smiled grateful at him. "Thank you Alec. That made me feel better." I said.

"No problem Bella. Anytime you need to talk you can come to me." He said smiling.

"Hey, right now I am going to Magnus. Do you want to come with me?" 

"Sure." 

"Thank you! I really don't know where his layer is and I hoped you would know." I said sighing in relief.

We walked out the Institute. "So you are just using me just as a travel guide? I am offended Bella." Alec said pretending that he was hurt.

I started to giggle. "And a great fellow. Really Alec. I don't know what I would do without you." I said.

"Probably would have to watch Clary and Jace 24/7 yourself." Alec said shrugging.

"Hey." I said punching him playfully. "Give it a rest. That girl lost her only family, and was thrown in this whole new world. Even though she is sassy, I understand her. I would do the same if I was in her place, maybe worse." I said while throwing my arms around.

"I don't think that would be the case. You are calmer and wiser than Clary. Clary is going with the wave, but you are calculating your moves and you are checking the consequences. Besides you make sure nobody gets hurt while you are doing your task, while Clary is seeing the task and the task only." Alec explained while walking.

I felt the heat in my cheeks again and I smiled while walking. We walked some more and we arrived in front of a big building. I looked at it and then at Alec. All he was doing was just smiling at me and then walking inside. I started to look around trying to take in every detail.

"Even when you are going to a friend you have your guard up." I heard Alec say.

"What do you mean?" I asked him confused.

"You are agitated and you are looking everywhere like a scared mouse." He explained.

"I am trying to remember every detail so I would know how to get to Magnus's apartment." I said.

"Yeah right." Alec chuckled and walked away.

I followed him and we got to two black doors. The model was simple but elegant, Magnus's style. Before I could knock I turned to Alec.

"Thank you." I said smiling.

"You are welcome Bella." Alec said.

"If I don't come out in 5 minute then you can go home." 

"Are you sure? I can wait till you finish." Alec tried to convince me.

"Trust me Alec. In this cases Magnus is acting two ways. A. He shut everyone out, and doesn't want to talk with anybody. Or B. He would like to have a really long conversation with a person dear to him. That's why if I don't get out from there in 5 minutes it's because he chose the second alternative." I explained smiling to him.

Alec just nodded. "Very well. I will see you tomorrow if you don't come out of there in 5 minutes." 

"I will text you." I said while I opened the door and entered.

Well, here comes nothing.