77

"Well, here we are." Magnus said as he, Anna and Alec entered in the big room where the party was hold.

"Do you think bringing us here was a good idea?" Alec asked the warlock.

"Better than coming here by myself." Magnus said and Anna sighed. "I am joking. They will love you two." Magnus said smiling.

"They better do." Anna said smirking. They walked around the room and she noticed Alec was a little tensed. "Look, just because we are the only Shadowhunters at a party full of Warlocks, doesn't mean we can't have fun too." Anna said smiling.

"Anna is right." Magnus said smiling wide.

"Easy for you to say. You know these people for centuries." Alec commented.

"You think that's a good thing?" Magnus asked and Anna chuckled. "Trust me, I don't want to be here more than I have to." Magnus complained.

"Then why are we here?" Alec asked.

"It's tradition for the outgoing High Warlock to pass the baton to his replacement." Anna explained.

"Exactly." Magnus said and he looked at a man with a low ponytail.

"Is that him?" Anna asked.

"The one and only. Lorenzo Reya, new High Warlock of Brooklyn." Magnus explained and Anna nodded.

"Magnus!" Lorenzo yelled, and as Magnus wanted to walk away, Anna hold his arm, by snaking her arms around his. "Magnus Bane. You made it." Lorenzo said smiling as the three approached him. "And you brought some friends." Lorenzo said.

"Yes, I am-" Alec started reaching out to shake Lorenzo's hand when the warlock put his hand behind his back.

"Alec Lightwood. The new head of the Institute. I expect we'll be seeing quiet a bit of each other at you Downworld cabinet meetings." Lorenzo said giving him a fake smile as Alec held his gaze.  Soon, Lorenzo's attention changed to Anna and now he was wearing a huge smile on his face.

"Anabella Herondale." Lorenzo said taking her hand an placing a kiss on it. "Pleasure to have the legendary hybrid, that is also a descendant of the Mother of Warlocks." Lorenzo said smiling.

"Wow, seems like you know a lot." Anna said smiling.

"The word circulates fast. It's true what is said about your beauty, is truly ravishing." Lorenzo said smirking.

As on clue Alec grabbed her hand and hold it tight in his. Anna looked at him and smiled and then she turned towards Lorenzo.

"Thank you for the compliment." Anna said and Lorenzo nodded.

"Well Magnus, I hope there are no hard feelings involved." Lorenzo said again, his fake smile back on his face.

"On contrary, I am very content of my position. Being the High Warlock, having to solve everybody's problems, seems too stressful for me." Magnus said smiling.

"Well, glad you got what you wanted. Mr. Lightwood, even though we will be partners, I might not be as gentle as Magnus was with you." Lorenzo said and then turned towards Anna. "Pleasure talking with you Miss Herondale." Lorenzo said and walked away.

"So, he tries to get on your good side." Alec said.

"Do you think is because I am related to Hecate?" Anna asked.

"Definitely. Lorenzo will be stupid to not take the chance to have the most powerful warlock on his side, that is also the strongest Shadowhunter. Trust me, he will try to get you on his side." Magnus warned.