eight »

"Did you take your medicine today?" He asked as he took his seat across from her at the small table

    "No." The old woman shook her head. "They don't work."

      "Mom. You have to take your medicine." He unpacked the lunch containers he brought.

      "I know but, they don't help. I think they're gonna start putting it in my food now." She chuckled.

     "Mom, please take your medicine. Can you take it for me? Please?"

     "Oh, fine. Don't bug me."

He laid the containers out on the table.

     "I made you kimbap. I hope you like it."

      "Me too. You've never really been much of a chef." She watched as he opened the plastic container. "It looks a little messy." She picked up her chopsticks and put the food up to her mouth.

    "Mom, just eat it." He chuckled. "Look, I'll eat some of it to prove to you that it's good." He picked up a piece of kimbap and ate it proudly. "See, it's good."

      "Alright." She ate it too. "You're right. You did a good job."

      "Thank you."

       "It would have been a shame if you had ruined such a simple dish."

     "I also made some seaweed soup for us to share." He opened the thermos and clouds of steam arose out of it.

     "But, you were supposed to have that for your birthday two weeks ago." She pointed out.

     "I know. I want us to try it together." He poured the soup into the top and sat it in front of her.

She blew on it multiple times before putting it up to her thin lips and taking a swallow.

      "It's great." She approved. "When did you learn to cook so well."

     "I learned from watching you all of those years and I just followed the recipes you gave me."

     "Wow, I thought you'd never learn."

  "This is the only time I have ever really took the time to cook. I mostly just eat at restaurants or sometimes Yuta cooks."

    "Oh, Yuta? I only ever met him once. How's he doing?"

     "He's doing fine."

     "So... is there anyone else in your life you're cooking for?"

       "No, I'm not dating anyone." He answered.

    "Is there someone you like?"

     "No."

     "Is there someone that likes you?"

    "... Well, yeah... I guess."

   "What's their name?"

   "Shea."

    "Is Shea a man or woman?"

    "She's a woman. I told you I'm not gay, mom."

    "Well, I was just asking. What's she like?"

     "I-- I don't really know. I haven't took the time to get to know her. But, she's pretty." He drank water from his water bottle. "She has brown skin and freckles with short dark hair and she seems nice. But, I'm not interested in her."

     "Why not?"

    "It's just hard for me to build relationships with people, especially after..." he trailed off.

She placed her wrinkly hand over his to comfort him.

     "I know your childhood wasn't the best and I'm sorry."

      "Mom, you don't have to apologize, it's not your fault."

     "It just feels like it's all my fault." A tear ran down her pale freckled cheek.

     "It was never your fault."

He reached forward to wipe her face then kissed her cheek.