ten »

His hair was black

His hair was black.

To match his clothes and the swirling mass of inconsolable grief dwelling inside of the pit of his stomach.

Taeyong sat there, hands trembling, breath shaking and his heart pounding.

       "Cheer up," a woman sat beside him and put a comforting hand on his shoulder. He didn't recognize her, maybe she was a friend of his mother's. "She's in a better place now. She would want you to be happy."

But, he didn't want to be happy.

"You were a great son," she continued. "She told me so much about you. She told me how much she loved you and how much you took care of her. She's looking down on you from heaven."

Could he just be sad and grieve for one moment without everyone telling him how to feel?

Without everyone telling him to stay positive?

He struggled to loosen up his black tie as he stood to get some water. His throat and mouth were painfully dry.

He went over to the large table where the food sat out and poured a small cup of water. He drank it in just a few gulps and threw the the paper cup away.

     "Taeyong," Yuta approached him with a sullen look. He was dressed up in a black suit, tie and white shirt as well. "Your father... he's here." He motioned.

Rage filled him.

He turned his head to make eye contact with the older man who just came in.

    "What the fuck are you doing here?!"

     "I'm here for my wife's funeral. What's so wrong with that?" He asked.

    "You know damn well what's wrong with that!" He jabbed his finger in his face.

    "I just want to see her one more time before she's buried."

    "You have no right!" Taeyong stepped closer and Yuta grabbed his arm to hold him back. "After all the shit you put me and my mother through. Get the hell out!" He pointed towards the door.

Everyone looked at them as Taeyong raised his voice.

    "Taeyong, let me explain--"

     "There is no explanation! You should have been the one died!'

     "Please don't say such hurtful things."

     "Get out, or I will call security!"

     "How dare you talk so informally to me."

     "Fuck you! I hope you rot in hell for what you did to us! You disappear for years and then you want to show your face at my mother's funeral?! What the fuck is wrong with you?"

     "Taeyong, calm down." Yuta tried holding his friend back. "He's not worth it."

     "Just leave." He urged before taking his friend's advice and turning away.

     "That's right, go on! I'm sure your mother would have loved to know that you dropped out of school while she was alive." His father antagonized.

Taeyong stopped in his tracks.

He quickly turned back around and grabbed him by the collar.

     "How the fuck did you know that?"

Yuta and a few other men pulled him off of the older man. "Stay out of my business!"

He pushed the men off of him and stood on his own. He fixed his tie and glared at the older man. "Leave." He walked away.

His father sat the flowers he brought down then slowly left.