fifteen »

"I'm the only one she put in her will

     "I'm the only one she put in her will."

     "Sounds like you were the only person she really trusted." She stroked his dark hair.

      "Yeah. She has a small house..." he played with the hem of her shirt as he laid his head in her lap. "... And the house and everything in it all belongs to me now. It was everything she owned."

     "Maybe we should go check it out."

     "Right now?" He sat up.

     "Maybe not right now, but sometime soon."

     "Well, I checked it out, it's not that much."

     "I'm sure it's a beautiful house."

     "Yeah, well... not as beautiful as yours."

    "It doesn't have to have glass chandeliers and high ceilings to be beautiful."

     "I know." He nodded. "And I just feel her presence there in every room. I can't go back there. It makes me miss her even more."

     "It's going to be okay. You're still grieving and that's just fine. If you're not ready to go back to the house then you don't have to. There's no rush." She plucked a small piece of wrapped candy from the glass candy dish that sat on her coffee table. "Here's something sweet to cheer you up."

He took the candy and popped it in his mouth then began to play with the plastic wrapper between his fingers.

     "Thank you."

     "Is there anything else you'd like to talk about?" She asked.

He looked into her big brown eyes then looked away. He wanted to talk about everything under the sun. He wanted to tell her everything. About his father, how he was feeling and how he doubled up on his drug intake ever since she passed.

Life just didn't seem worth living and each day it seemed like he dug himself deeper and deeper into an abyss of mourning and depression.

Instead he shook his head in response.

     "No. There's nothing that comes to my mind at the moment."