thirteen »

"What happened?" Shea asked

     "What happened?" Shea asked. "You didn't come by last Saturday."

      "Yeah." He replied.

     "You changed your hair again." She pointed out the obvious. "What was wrong with the pink?"

     "Nothing, I just... nothing. Nothing was wrong."

    "So why didn't you show up last Saturday?"

   "Don't worry about it, beautiful." He moved in closer to her and lifted her chin.

     "Oh, your black eye is fading." She rubbed the skin under his eye.

He leaned in until he was completely hovering her. She laid back on the couch as he kissed her neck. "Did you put ice on it?"

     "No." He grumbled into the crevice of her neck. "Are you just going to ask me questions the whole time?"

       "No. But, I just want to know what's wrong."

       "What do you mean?" He pulled away and looked into her brown eyes.

     "Well..." she sat up. "Isn't something wrong?"

He ran his hand through his black hair and his eyes glanced around the room as if he were searching for an answer.

       "... N-- No. What makes you think something is wrong?"

     "Taeyong, you didn't come by last Saturday and you seem distant."

    "I'm fine."

    "Okay." She nodded a little. "I understand. I won't force you to tell me."

     "I... I've been through a lot over the past weekend." He sat back on the sofa.

     "Why? What happened?"

     "I... lost my mother. She died after battling years of cancer." He  choked on his words. "She's the only person that's been there for me. She was the only thing holding me together." His eyes became glassy as he carefully opened up to her.

She listened attentively.

"After everything I've been through with my father and all of the drama I've faced she kept me sane. I went to her funeral and I could barely keep calm as I saw them close her casket and lower her into the ground." He averted his eyes to the glass table as he recalled the memorial from just a few days ago. "The day after that, I just couldn't sit in the house by myself and face reality... so I went to a party and got high. I got so tired of being miserable that I overdosed-- on purpose."

       "Oh, no!" She covered her mouth but, let him continue on.

     "But, I woke up in a hospital bed. And they suggested that I go to rehab but, I left because I don't deserve it."

    "Deserve what, exactly?"

     "To be happy, to get better. I'm expendable."

     "Taeyong--" she threw her arms around him and pulled him into a tight hug. "I'm here for you."

He felt strange.

He hadn't been embraced like this in a long time so, it almost felt foreign to him.

She hugged him for a few moments more. Tears quickly began to run down his face and onto the back of her shirt. His weeping quickly turned into bawling.

He clutched her shirt as he sobbed loudly, drenching her shoulder.

"I'm sorry that you've had to endure so much," she rubbed his back. "Any time you want to talk I'm always here."

Suddenly, her phone rang and she pulled away from him to answer.

He watched as she nodded along with the conversation and replied back with a subtle, "yes" and "okay" then, "bye."

She turned to him. His eyes red and puffy. "I'm sorry Taeyong but, I have to leave."

     "Oh," he lowered his eyes. "I'll just leave then."

      "Wait." She said stopping him before he could reach the front door. "I'll give you my number. You can talk to me whenever you need and maybe you can come by more than just Saturdays." He dug through his pocket to hand her the caseless phone. "And when you're done talking and feel better, I'll delete your number. Is that good?"

He nodded.

She put in her number and handed back his phone.

       "I'll see you later, then." She said right before hugging him again. He was taken aback but hugged her in return.