Chapter 147- early rise

TAE POV:

Having a pregnant mate seems to have caused a shift in the coven. Instincts heightened and impulses grew. Instinctual, deeply rooted impulses to protect her, to protect our baby inside her, to look after her and keep her safe even if rationally we knew that there was no risk to her within the nest. That there was no way the house would allow for any harm to come to her, especially with how much the house doted on her, took care of her.

It seemed to have caused a shift inside me too. That part of me, that blurred line between vampire and bat form seemed to become more physically tangible these days. It wasn't a need that I felt myself consumed by, felt myself bothered by that could only be resolved through shifting. These days I felt less and less inclined to shift, felt that whenever emotions bubbled up, whenever they mounted, they didn't push me to the edge, to that brink. They just pushed and nudged for me to seek out one of our mates, to find the closest one and latch onto, curled around them or tucked close. Whatever worked, whatever it was I felt I needed. And a lot of that time (Y/N) was the one I'd curve over, the one I'd protectively cage in between my arms, that neediness making itself known by pressing my lips over and over to her neck, her shoulders, to her cheeks, nose, lips, wherever I could immediately reach, could lean towards, nuzzling close as I held her.

And so when I feel her twisting in my arms, eyes fluttering open to see her restlessly tugging herself out of my hold, my emotions flare, pulse heavy and thick with concern and worry. The heavy weight of sleep still tugging at my body, causing my eyes to droop and blink blearily at her vanishes, the feeling of being suddenly drenched, a cold jolt to my system as my hands fall away from around her, watch as she frees herself, scrabbling away from me. I jerk upright in bed, alarm coursing through me as she curves forward, away from me as she moves to hurriedly get out of bed, almost stumbling and falling, my cry of panic tearing out of my throat, rough and hoarse as I reach out for her. But the desk shifts forward, her hand bracing against it.

"(Y/N) what...?" I ask, body already moving to slide out of bed, to hurry after her figure which stumbles out of my room, door flying open for her as she rushes out.

My heart clenches tightly when I rush after her, see her stagger into the bathroom, legs giving out as she slumps onto the ground, curves over the toilet and is sick.

Shuddery breaths and small gasped sobs as her body shivers, head bent forward as her stomach empties itself. I hurriedly move forward, kneeling down behind her, hands carefully scooping her hair back, clutched lightly in one hand whilst the other rubs up and down the curve of her spine, murmuring softly to her as she's sick.

"I've got you sweetheart." I murmur, feeling my heart and soul twist with agony for not being able to do anything for her, for not being able to make it better, or to stop her from hurting, from being sick.

And when she stops heaving, when her breaths stop sounding so pained, so forcefully wrenched out of her, her head straightens as she groans, skin clammy, body slumping backwards into me. My hand slides away from behind her back to gently tuck her close, feeling my heart clench when she breathes shakily, eyes fluttering as she leans back.

"Oh jagi...I'm sorry you feel so terrible." I murmur, brushing the few strands away from her face that had gotten stuck to her temple and the side of her cheeks, fingers cool against her warmed skin. And I smile at her when she groans and leans into the touch, pushing her heated face, clammy from being sick, from being so bundled up before, tucked close and under blankets.

"'s fine. Just felt nauseous." She mumbles, pushing herself upright after a few minutes, straightening up and smiling when I move to support her, carefully helping her up, arms still loosely wrapped around her to support her, to stabilise her.