Chapter 2- the bond between us

(Y/N) POV:

There's something wrong. I know it. I can feel it in the bond- Yugyeom is worrying, and quite intensely if the gnawing feeling at the pit of my stomach is anything to go by.

I slip out of bed, awake earlier than expected because of the slightly nauseating feeling that I'm experiencing, padding over to Gyeomie's room. It's more common for the two of us to find our way into the other's bed at some point during the night- sometimes even forgoing that as we head to sleep together, but since the dinner ended, Gyeomie grew silent on the way home, slightly withdrawn and lost in thought.

Hopefully, he's ready to share, open up about what it is that's bothering him.

I open the door, heart wrenching painfully at the sight of him curled up on himself, eyes wide open and unstaring, arms protectively wrapped around himself. I slide into his bed, our knees touching as I turn to face him.

I reach out to touch his face, silently startled at the colder than usual skin that greets me, his eyes slowly come to meet mine and I open my arms for him- a silent invitation. And that's all he needs before he gratefully burrows himself into me, wrapping himself around me. His body shudders as his cold skin meets my own heated and then he's melting into my hold, clutching me with a frantic desperation.

"What's wrong Gyeomie?" I say to his bent head.

I'm startled to feel wetness against my shirt, soaking through quickly and when he raises his eyes, they are drowning with tears that he struggles to hold at bay, watch as they spill over and his lip wobbles. My fingers come to wipe the tears away, he leans into the touch as though he is starved for affection.

It takes several long minutes for him to settle himself, to bring his tears under control and he is able to meet my eyes with such a raw, vulnerable expression that it sends jolts of mirroring sorrow down the bond.

"I'm scared things will change." He whispers brokenly.

"What will change?" I ask gently.

And the barriers struggling to hold his emotions at bay come bursting open.

"I thought I couldn't be happier when I found my soulmates, that everything was going to be complete, but I can't just leave you...I can't let our bond go." He says, clutching desperately at me in attempt to ground himself.

My heart aches for him. When understanding fully dawns about why he's been so hurt, why it's bothered him to see his new nestmates because it makes him yearn for them whilst being afraid for me.

He look at me with an open look, waiting for me to provide him with something that'll help ease the conflict inside of him.

"Who said that becoming fully bonded with your soulmates means I won't want you anymore? What we have is a different bond- it won't be replaced; they hold two different places in your heart. One if for those born and fated to be yours and ours is one that we made together, because of the trust we have and the love we have." I say softly in the gap between us, feeling nothing but warmth for the boy I see, for the boy who I'd met years ago.

I watch as my words help ease some of the stiffness in his body, causes his shoulders to droop now that the burden has been lifted from them.

"We're not bound in the same way you are to your coven but I will always be the same person you met. I'll always be your marshmallow even though you always hold that against me." I huff but smile when I hear the watery chuckle it rouses.

And with our hearts settled and bond now at rest, we easily slip off to sleep- comforted by each other.

----