Chapter Thirty-Eight| Long Time Ago

"Tell me again why we're here?" I asked Jason in his ear as we walked through the crowds of people that were here pretending to be friendly with each other, all for the business I guess.

"Bellamy has donated a lot of money to our hotels, Lia, we have to show up for such things," he said in my ear and I groaned internally, pulling my lips into a smile for an elderly woman who passed by us. 

"How long do we have to be here?"

"Just up until he gives his speech and then we can go home," he said, pressing his lips on my forehead. I tilted my chin up and he got the message pressing a kiss on my lips.

"That works for me, now go on. Go act like a dick to others," I said and he chuckled, shaking his head and pressing his lips against my temple before walking away. Taking a huge breath in and sipping my ice tea, I smiled at a few familiar faces before walking over to Bellamy's wife, who looked just as bored as I was.

She was a young gorgeous woman if I read her bio correctly, she was the same age as I was and was the lucky princess who got married to Bellamy at a young age which was nineteen, literally a year after she met him. There isn't much I know about her but there is a lot I know about their perfect marriage, well the tabloids say that it is. 

"Hi, Mrs Barreau," I smiled, pushing my hand forward and she cleared her throat standing straighter and swatting my hand away before pulling me into a hug.

"Argh don't be an idiot Amelia, we're past all of this formal basis," she said, rocking us to the side and I giggled squeezing her. "You look fantastic, the sessions surely did their work," she said looking at me and I shrugged smiling.

"Three years clean and I couldn't feel any better. But please, have you seen how amazing you look! You're basically ageing backwards!" I exclaimed and she laughed, shaking her head.

"It's forgetting I have a husband," she said and I laughed with her. 

"How are you really?" I asked genuinely worried and she shrugged taking a sip of her champagne. 

"I'm honestly tired of it all," she said, pointing to the people. "Especially that," she pointed to where Bellamy was standing with his PA, a little too close for my liking, they weren't being too discreet about their affair, well to the ones that paid attention and Bellamy was surely an idiot for thinking Robyn didn't notice anything.

"Then why do you stay?" I asked and she let out a humourless laugh before downing the rest of her drink.

"I have no idea why I do, but if I had to guess, it would probably be the same reason you do," she said, grabbing another glass of champagne and I raised my eyebrow. "The assurance, consistency, comfortability, the fact that leaving the person who knows you better than you know yourself scares you that you're willing to let a whole lot of shit slide, and maybe, just maybe, love." 

I stared at her listening to every word she said and as much as I hated it, there was so much truth to what she said and I only offered her a smile.

"It was great catching up with you, Robyn. I hope to see you again under better circumstances?" 

"Likewise, take care of yourself, Amelia," she said waving at me as Bellamy wrapped his arm around her waist and she smiled looking at him.

"You too, Robyn," I walked away from them and was immediately engulfed in Jason's arms and I smiled looking up at him. "Hey, there handsome."

"Handsome?" he repeated with a raised eyebrow and I giggled, threading our fingers together. 

"I'm hungry," I admitted and he chuckled, nodding his head.