Chapter Fifty-eight| Oh Jason

I had finally decided to have lunch with Marlene because under all this stress and shit that was currently happening, I thought I should at least get to know something about my brother's.

I rushed into the restaurant after talking to Jason who wouldn't stop calling every two hours.

"I hope I didn't keep you waiting long?" I said to her and she shook her head, getting up and giving me a hug which I didn't expect at all.

"It's alright, thank you for agreeing to meet me," she said excitedly and I smiled while taking my seat. "So how have you been? Your engagement and new position caught us all by surprise."

"You can thank Rick for that," I mumbled under my breath and she gasped leaning forward.

"The engagement too?" she asked softly and I nodded.

"All of it," I said emphasizing every word and she shook her head cursing inaudibly.

"Even your fiancé? Are you being forced to be with him?" she asked worriedly and I quickly shook my head.

"No, I'm with him because I want to. Nothing was forced there," I giggled, pushing my hair behind my ear and feeling a shiver crawl down my body.

"Oh then I'm happy, I was worried because I wouldn't want you to be trapped in a loveless relationship because of a baby," she said pointing to me and I frowned.

Jason and I had decided to keep the news of the pregnancy private until we solved the issue with Rick.

"Baby?" I squeaked out and she smiled nodding her head.

"You're pregnant aren't you? Or am I confusing the visible signs for something else?" she laughed nervously. "If you aren't then I'm sorry for being forward."

"How can you tell by just your eyes?" I asked shocked and she laughed.

"I've been pregnant three times, so I can tell," she said and I slowly nodded, allowing a smile to come over my features.

"Well then you have good eyesight, but we'd really appreciate it if you kept it to yourself," I said and she nodded in understanding.

"Of course, I just hope that I'll be allowed to stay around to see them grow," she said and I cocked my head to the side.

"Them?"

"I don't want to give it a gender, I can't tell if you're pregnant with more than one," she laughed and I laughed along with her.

"You almost gave me a heart attack!" I exclaimed holding my chest and we carried on laughing. "Talking about being trapped in a loveless relationship because of a baby, is that what happened between you and Rick?" I asked carefully and she took a sip of her wine before clearing her throat.

"Not at all, there was love, a lot of it but that all changed when both you and more money started coming in," she said and I nodded in understanding. "I tried to leave with you but he-"

"It's okay, you don't need to explain it to me," I smiled at her and she looked like she still wanted to explain. "Rick can be an asshole, I'm experiencing that firsthand."

"What is it that he wants from you?" she asked as she cut into her steak, somewhere in between our conversation we had ordered and our food had arrived.

"He just wants to prove a point, he can be quite childish when he doesn't get what he wants," I said and she barked out in laughter making me laugh too.

"That much is true, well I do hope whatever it is, you're able to get out of it."

"That's enough of Rick don't you think? Please tell me more about you and everything else."