Chapter Four : Nothings gonna hurt you baby

05/03/2021

I attached the song up that features in this chapter, feel free to listen :)

-Aphrodite

________________________________________________________________________________

            The sun shone down through the curtains temporarily blinding me as I tried to get a grasp on my surroundings. Groggily wiping the sleep from my eyes I groaned as I trudged into the bathroom.

"God I hate mornings" I whispered to myself getting ready to brush my teeth. Just then, mid-swish of my brush the memory of last night hit me full force, knocking the breath from my lungs.

He was here, he had been in my room, forgetting all about the hygiene routine I rushed into my room, looking for a sign to prove it wasn't a dream.

I could have continued brushing my teeth, spent a little longer convincing myself it was a dream but no, somewhere in that demented mind of mine I just had to let my eye catch the sight of the scrapbook. Lying face down from when he slammed it in anger, at the foot of my bed.

Sighing, I let myself be submerged in a new found numbness. "Crap, what the hell do I do now" picking up the book, I threw it onto my desk, suddenly sick of the sight of my room.

"Morning" I weakly smiled, pushing any thoughts of last night from my mind. And to think I had spent more than a healthy amount of time imagining what I would do when he ever came back, yet all I did was freeze and bend to his every whim.

"Morning sweetie, I'm making eggs, they should be ready in a couple minutes" my mom hummed, bustling her way around the kitchen. "Where's dad?" I questioned, picking at my nails. "He ran out to get milk and orange juice" she smiled refocusing her attention on the food.

Impulsively I stood up and wrapped my arms around her. The warmth was nice and I knew I needed this after last night. I was scared, not so much for myself but for my parents. "Awh thanks sweetie, is everything okay?" she reciprocated the hug, pulling me in close as I basked in her motherly aura.

"Yeah, I just really love you is all" I mumbled hiding my face in her arm as she awed at my sudden display of affection. Stepping back, I deflected her curious eyes as I plopped myself onto the kitchen stool.

"Are you going to be okay for school tomorrow?" she enquired, stirring something. "Yeah, of course, I'm better now mom, I promise" I reassuringly nodded, she didn't need me adding to her stresses of life.

"What do you mean? We should have been notified, I swear to god, you better stop making excuses and actually do your job for once" the booming voice of my dad could be heard from outside the house.

Exchanging worried glances with my mom we rushed towards the door, a furlong expression evident on my dad's face as he entered the house.

"Hey darling, is everything okay? Who was that?" taking the cartons from my dad I headed for the fridge. "That idiot of an attorney we hired" he sighed, dropping into a kitchen stool as he rubbed the top of his head in frustration.

"Noah was released yesterday morning, and no one thought to tell us, I mean we only found out about the parole offer yesterday evening, what kind of idiots do they let into the law sector these days" he spit out, clearly riled up.

I tensed at his information, I already knew this of course, but with my parents knowing, it would make things so much more dangerous. "What, are you serious, that's outrageous, we should have been told the moment any decisions were made" my mom flung the cloth as I grimaced at the tension in the room.