Chapter Sixty-Four: Where the tide turns

16/01/2023

So here we have it! Chapter 64, the second last chapter of this book. I am forever grateful for you all and am wishing you the best!

Hope you enjoy,

~Aphrodite

--------------------------------------------------------------

Embry's POV

It had been two weeks since Jonathan had confronted me in the kitchen about who I was. Two very peaceful weeks. Well, as peaceful as my life could ever be in these circumstances I suppose. Noah had been sticking to his promise and I felt myself growing a little saner than I had been while stuck in the basement.

I was achieving more freedom. Well in a certain sense. More freedom over my thoughts, slightly so in my actions to a small extent. Such as no longer having to ask permission to go outside and not having to second guess everything that I did. He was here and I was here and to me, we just happened to be here together.

"Everything okay little bug? You seem to be very in that head of yours" Noah questioned, taking the space on the couch beside me and lifting my legs onto his lap. Coming back to reality my eyes met his, "yeah, just thinking is all" I gave a small smile, turning my head back to the TV. We had started a show called Lost. Noah had picked it and I must give credit where it is due. So far it was very interesting and for the first time in a while I found myself looking forward to watching a series.

"I swear to God if he dies, I'm never watching any show you pick ever again" I shook my head, anxiously waiting for the moment of anticipation to end and for my emotional support character to be alright. "You're only saying that because you think he's good looking" Noah gives me a side eye as I make a guilty facial expression.

"Ooo, well I mean, you're not exactly wrong" I shake my head, flashing him an innocent smile. "You know, I think he looks quite like me" he proudly announces as I widen my eyes in mockery. "Don't flatter yourself buddy" I laugh out, turning my head from the screen to him.

I could see a snarky remark forming within his mind, I could always tell by the glint in his eyes when one was coming. His mouth had opened ready to set his words on me before he was interrupted by a knock at the door. Jonathan. "I'll get it" I said nonchalantly, feigning that there was no ulterior motive and as if it was simply an act of kindness on my behalf.

"Don't unpause it until I get back" I warned, making my way towards the back door. "Hi Jonathan" I greeted opening the door for him. Shuffling over to the sink I turned on the water, a tactic I used to lessen the chance of Noah hearing my conversations with Jonathan without making him suspicious. He would just think we were washing the fruit and vegetables.

"Hi Mrs Hill" he smiled, giving me a knowing look while placing the crate on the counter. Moving to stand beside him I began unpacking the groceries, "did you look into it for me?" I whispered keeping my eyes focused on the counter, my palms getting sweaty as I feared what answer he would have for me.

"Embry I'm sorry but I don't think it's something you're going to want to hear" he frowned sympathetically and at that moment I already had the answers I was looking for. Someone was dead.

Three days ago...

My stomach ached at the heavenly scent of the soup that filled the kitchen. "All we need now is for Jonathan to drop off the fresh bread within the hour" Noah smiled, brushing my hair away from my face as he took the seat at the table across from me.