Chapter Sixteen: Secrets in the dark

29/09/2021

            I'm trying to do as much writing as I can before the schoolwork starts getting heavy again. Thank you all again for your likes, comments and reads. I hope you have a nice day wherever you all may be :)

I hope you enjoy,

-Aphrodite

--------------------------------------------

               Crawling into the bed beside a shirtless Noah, I scooted as close as far away from him as humanly possible. I was afraid if I moved even an inch he would hear the loud thrumming of my erratic beating heart.

"Night little bug" he sighed, rolling around so his back was facing me. Shutting my eyes, I internally groaned knowing it would be awhile before sleep and took me from this living nightmare.

After a little while, I began focusing on the soft snores emitting themselves from the man beside me, the peaceful rhythm distracting me from thinking too much. Lying on my back, I traced the patterns on the ceiling as I always did when I couldn't sleep.

My mind couldn't help but trail back to thoughts of my parents, I wondered what they were doing now, it had been four days ago when I was taken and they were told their only child had committed suicide, not that I could confidently keep count of the days anymore.

Did they actually believe I was dead? Were they still mourning me? Or had I just been a burden they were glad to be rid of? No, I'm sure the answer to the last one was no, they loved me, emotional instability and all.

Maybe 911 had tracked the call and they were on their way to me right now. I've been avoiding this thought since I was taken but now it sits heavy in my head, what would I do when I get back? Continue therapy, have people stare at me with an even deeper look of pity, count five things I see at least three times a day. I would never get normality back would I? Not when I had revolved my whole existence around Noah.

I couldn't live happily with him and I was struggling to survive without him. There was no such thing as balance in this situation, I was either drowning or dying from dehydration, there was no in-between.

Every aspect of my life had been consumed by him, every dream I have had for the future consisted of him. Oh how I wish I was one of those teenage girls who stuck to fixating on famous people. Instead I fell for the boy who was into kidnapping and branding girls.

Feeling overwhelmed as all the thoughts swam around my head, I could feel the tears fighting their way to the surface. Gently removing myself from the bed, I decided to go make myself hot chocolate, something that always seemed to cheer me up. All I had to do now was pray I didn't bump into anybody.

Tiptoeing into the corridor I held my breath in fear of waking Noah up, he would most likely reprimand me for leaving the bed in the middle of the night and accuse me of trying to escape.

Taking the time to admire all the beautiful artwork on the walls, my pace faltered as I heard hushed voices come from a door up ahead to my right.

"James, we can't let him do this, he will ruin her" Evelyn's tired voice drifted through the ajar door. With my now sparked curiosity, I crept over to the wall beside the door, pressing my ear up against the wall.

Curiosity killed the cat....

"He chose her Evelyn, you know how this goes, whatever happens is a result of her actions, if Noah has to put her in her place then that's just the way things are, if I was you I'd be watching your behaviour." James' voice responded full of anger.