Chapter Fifty-Eight: What's the point of goodbyes

18/04/2022

I have never been as grateful for something as I am for all you wonderful people, your comments are quite frankly the biggest source of serotonin for me, and I appreciate you all so much!!

I hope you enjoy,

~Aphrodite

--------------------------------------------------

Embry's POV

Day 12

My body shivered slightly with the coldness that enveloped it from the wet hair that sat heavily against my shoulders. My fingers continuously stroking the soft fabric of the dress, the feeling seeming foreign to me after spending so much time without it. That ended today, Noah had woken me up early enough, elation rolling off of him as he explained how we would be leaving today. I would finally get to leave this basement after God knows how long.

I was at long last able to wear proper clothes again, hence my excitement with the dress, as well as a wool cardigan to keep the frosty January air from irritating my skin. I even had shoes. Small black pumps. "I was thinking of two French plaits, what do you think, little bug?" Noah questioned, already parting my hair as I gave a small nod.

"Words baby" he scolded as I hurried to fix my mistake, "French plaits would be nice, thank you Noah" I smiled, humming along to the playlist Noah had playing from his phone. "Good girl" he leaned over, kissing my right temple. "Are you going to be okay going on a plane or do you need to be put asleep for the journey?" Frowning at the thought of missing the scenery I quickly replied, "no, no, I'll be fine, I promise."

The excitement was pouring off of me, the whole time I was in the bath Noah had been telling me stories of how we could go outside whenever we wanted at our new home because there wouldn't be many people around. A shiver ran down my spine as I recalled the rest of his story. His father owned most of the island so of course his men worked there, and according to Noah they weren't very nice.

I was sure he was over-dramatising it so I would be careful but my stomach couldn't help but churn as I thought about what he said could happen to me, vile things which I would never repeat. I felt sick even visualising the words, but I would be okay. The words he had assured me over and over again calmed me down.

"I will protect you Embry, you never have to worry about hurting again when I am here"

"And done my beautiful wife" a wide grin plastered to his face as he pulled me from my seated position to give me a little twirl. "I think we are ready to go, everything is packed in the car" he scanned the small, bare room before taking my hand in his. His warm skin feels nice against my own. It made me feel safe. It made me feel as if loneliness was not a feeling I would ever have to experience again.

"Can I say goodbye to Evelyn?" I wondered, climbing the stairs for the first time in a while. The grandness of the house amazed me once again. Although I guess it wouldn't take much to amaze me after being in that grey box of a room. "No baby girl, you can call her from the plane, remember what I said, we can't bump into Sebastian or he'll try to hurt you again" his dark eyes met mine as I felt small against the tone of his voice.

Noah had made sure to thoroughly explain how Sebastian was still adamant on his plan to get back at him and how at this point he was just going to ridiculous lengths. The realisation wasn't new to me but it hurt all that more seeing every dot of his plan align perfectly. "You don't want that, do you little bug?" Noah had stopped at this point, his head turned down to face me as his hand rested on my cheek. A look of sarcastic pity on his face, gulping I shut my eyes knowing he knew what was best for me when it came to this house and these people. I only had to think of how much pain I was in because I ran away from him after the wedding. "No" my voice was croaky as I fought to hide the raging emotions of sorrow inside of me.