Chapter 53

When Song Yuan picked up Rong Ting and returned, there was no one at home.

Chen Linjing and Song Haiping had both attended university in B City. It wasn’t easy to make a trip, so naturally they wanted to have a get-together with their old classmates.

For some reason, Song Yuan had felt that the matter of Rong Ting’s dad transmigrating was a big deal. But seeing her mom and her dad’s calm appearance, she suddenly began to think it wasn’t such a big deal after all.

The mother and son duo were very leisurely. It was getting dark now, so Song Yuan took out the chicken wings she had been marinating since last night. It was just her and Rong Ting at home, so dinner was relatively simpler–with New Orleans wings as the main dish, stir-fried bok choy, and a steamed egg with minced meat, they could eat very well.

Rong Ting loved to eat New Orleans wings and could eat five or six by himself.

Seeing his cheeks bulging as he ate, Song Yuan felt a sense of accomplishment. One should know that in the three months since he’d transmigrated, he had gained 1-2 kilograms1. Those 1-2 kilograms were all thanks to her.

“Don’t just focus on the meat. Have some vegetables, too.”

“Oh.”

Like many children, Gugu liked to eat meat but not vegetables. Song Yuan was the opposite; she didn’t enjoy eating meat all that much, but she did enjoy vegetables.

It wasn’t that she wasn’t worried about Gugu’s figure, but thinking about her and Rong Heng’s figures… Gugu probably wouldn’t become fat?

“Gugu, I want to ask you something.”

“En, ask.”

“Was there a term like “registered household2” in ancient times?”

She had thought about it. Since she had already decided that she couldn’t deceive the child, this matter couldn’t be dragged out any longer; it was better to tell him earlier. Of course, to prevent him from getting too excited about it, she had to analyze the pros and cons with him, in order to let him understand the potential consequences if the whole thing was known to outsiders. 

Rong Ting was happy to see that she was interested in the ancient times. “Of course there is. Every dynasty should have a system of household registration3. Otherwise, it would be chaotic.”

“Well, what would happen in ancient times if there was no registered household?”

“If you do not have a registered household, then you are a refugee. As far as I am aware, you may not lodge in an inn or take the imperial examination. Even if you search for a job. The innkeeper requires your household registration, and purchasing large items also requires it.”

Song Yuan pretended to have a sudden realization. “Then it’s not that different from our modern system. Here, too, if you don’t have a registered household, you can’t stay in a hotel. Taking the high-speed rail or flying is also not doable. Nowadays, you can’t even see the doctor if you’re sick and you don’t bring your ID card to the hospital. In short, it’s hard to do anything! Gugu, did you know that your grandpa and grandma put in a lot of effort to get you a registered household? If you didn’t have it, you couldn’t have gone to school.”