Chapter 69

Song Yuan didn’t give any response. Although Rong Ting was frightened, he noticed that her face was flushed.

He placed a hand on her forehead and immediately snatched it back. Why is it so hot? Could it be that Empress Mother has a fever?

Rong Ting, who had never encountered such a situation before, couldn’t help but lose himself in panic, especially as Empress Mother cried with her eyes shut, her hands tightly gripping the quilt. He wanted to tug her, to wake her. On this night, he was anxious enough to break into a sweat.

It could not go on like this!

Rong Ting, you must calm down! Remain calm!!

He bit the tip of his tongue and pinched the soft flesh of his arm. After forcing himself to calm down, he closed his eyes and recalled what Empress Mother had done the last time he’d had a fever. He muttered to himself, “Thermometer, fever-reducing patches, ibuprofen1–yes! That’s it!”

He clenched his tiny fist and walked out of the bedroom. He made his way to the living room to grab the medicine kit, but because he was in such a hurry, he didn’t watch for anything at his feet and nearly tripped over a chair.

He opened the medicine kit, grabbed the ear thermometer, and took Song Yuan’s temperature with trembling hands. He glanced at the display that read 38.7 degrees2 and confirmed that Empress Mother did indeed have a fever.

After Rong Ting placed a fever-reducing patch on Song Yuan, he called Song Haiping with trembling fingers. At this moment, he wanted to seek out Emperor Father, but he also knew that Emperor Father was in B City and was too far away to be of help. It was still more reasonable to find Grandfather.

It was early in the morning, and Song Haiping was still asleep. He cursed as he was woken by the ringtone. Seeing that the call was from Song Ting, he shook his head to shake himself more awake and accepted the call. “Rong Ting, what’s wrong?”

He understood this grandson quite well. He should be asleep at this time. If he was calling, it meant that something had happened at home.

He got up to change his clothes as he answered the phone.

Sure enough, Rong Ting cried out, his voice carrying a hint of a sob, “Grandfather, Empress Mother is sick, she has a fever!”

Song Haiping’s heart thumped. He had been a father for more than twenty years–a fever wasn’t a huge problem. He quickly put on his pants, not forgetting to comfort Rong Ting. “Ai, don’t worry, don’t worry, I’ll be there right away. This person, when she gets sick, catching a cold or having a fever is not a big deal. Here’s what you should do–after you hang up the phone, pay attention to her temperature and check it from time to time. Grandpa’s coming right now!”

Hearing Song Haiping say this, Rong Ting choked up and calmed himself down.

It was his first time seeing Empress Mother sick. Moreover, Empress Mother was still in tears, leaving him at a loss for what to do.

After hanging up the phone, he sat by the bed and held Song Yuan’s hand, not daring to blink or speak. Time seemed to pass slowly. When he heard the sound of the door opening, he stood up and saw Grandfather coming in. He shot like a bullet into Song Haiping’s arms. Song Haiping picked him up and patted him on the back, coaxing in a low voice, “It’s okay. Look at you, you have such small guts.”

Song Haiping put down Rong Ting and quickly headed to the bed. He finally understood why the child had been so nervous and frightened.

Yuanyuan’s condition was indeed not good. She had clearly fallen asleep, her face flushed red and still letting out heart-breaking sobs.