Chapter 26

As the end of the year approached, Song Haiping also became busy. He had some connections in the city and needed to go around to pay each person a visit.

As per usual, Song Haiping had invited a few of his pals over to eat and prepared to make his next stop. He had just left the private dining room when he spotted a familiar face in the lobby.

Song Haiping had been a penniless kid when he was young. The reason he got rich so quickly, apart from his ex-wife’s sharp foresight, was that his own abilities weren’t too bad. He was extremely sociable–in the words of his ex-wife, he spoke the language of humans when seeing a human, and he spoke the language of devils when seeing a devil1. He was nearly fifty, but he was so confident in his memory that even though they had only met once, he could recognize that person as the driver of the Lu family’s crown prince.

“Hello, do you remember me?” Song Haiping took the initiative to approach first. He had a keen sense of smell. He could detect the smell of smoke on the other party and decisively offered him a cigarette. “My family’s child was naughty and ran onto the road and nearly caused you trouble. I’ve been wondering since then whether your car has had any issues.”

Song Haiping had gotten Xie Heng’s business card before he was able to return to his senses. It wasn’t that he hadn’t thought about contacting this crown prince, but rather that upon further consideration, many people wanted to climb up due to the Lu family’s status. This crown prince had only just been discharged after having a brush with death. Song Haiping wasn’t certain about the other party’s temperament and mind and could only bide his time.

He had never in a million years expected to run into Xie Heng’s driver in this city!

The driver, Sun Qiming, finally remembered after listening to Song Haiping’s words. It had been several months since the incident, after all. He accepted the cigarette and smiled. “You’re too courteous. There is no issue with the car.”

“I had just arrived in B City and didn’t recognize many people. I only found out after speaking with a friend that day that it was Mr. Xie.” Song Haiping looked around. “Is Mr. Xie here, too?”

Sun Qiming had followed Xie Heng around for several years.

In the past, he had dared to gain a profit through such opportunities. The boss had had a good temper and had been good-natured, so Sun Qinming had occasionally disclosed the boss’s whereabouts to others for money, such as that one family’s young miss2. But it was different now. He could feel that, ever since that time, his boss had not just had a huge change in temperament, but had also become inscrutable. The welfare benefits as a driver for the boss were not that great, but he also didn’t want to lose this job. So now, even if it were Madam Xie who asked, he would not easily reveal the boss’s whereabouts, let alone a stranger.

“No.” Sun Qiming’s tone became more perfunctory. “I still have something to do.”

In his words was the intent to leave.

Song Haiping didn’t expect that Xie Heng’s drivers to be so tight-lipped.

He wanted to ask, but all drivers were like this. He was considered to be someone with face in this city; he wouldn’t stoop so low as to smilingly flatter a driver.

But if Xie Heng’s driver was here in this city, then Xie Heng was also likely to be here.

He had to find someone to investigate. He wanted to focus on expanding his business into B City. The waters in B City ran deep; if he could latch onto a big boat like Xie Heng, even if it was just a small connection, he would have smooth sailing.