Chapter 11

Song Yuan instantly formed an image of the emperor in her mind: a weak chicken-like figure with prominent dark circles under his eyes.

As a matter of fact, it wasn’t a big deal for men to have fertility issues, la.

It was just that Song Yuan couldn’t accept that her partner had such a problem. Such were her double standards~

“Your Father Emperor, en…” Song Yuan did not have a poisonous tongue, so naturally she would not reveal her opinion of His Majesty the emperor in front of the child. “Is his hair alright?”

When Rong Ting heard her, he was silent for a long while before candidly asking: “Mother Empress wishes to know of Father Emperor’s white hair?”

Song Yuan was stunned, and her thoughts escaped from her lips: “White hair? You just said he’s in his prime!”

Oh my god, ah! Did she really sleep with an old man and even have a child? No, she refused to accept such a script! 

Rong Ting was startled by Song Yuan’s reaction. He answered with creased brows, “Gu said before that gu would not lie to Mother Empress. Father Emperor is indeed in the prime of his life!”

“Then why does he have white hair!”

This clearly left Rong Ting unable to respond. The palace maids, eunuchs, and even the Grand Tutor would not talk about Father Emperor in front of him. He did not know much about Father Emperor; compared to Father Emperor, he was more concerned about everything related to Mother Empress. “For as long as gu can recall, Father Emperor has had white hair. But Mother Empress, gu has never lied to you. Father Emperor is indeed in the prime of his life; he is likely only a few years older than Mother Empress.”

The more she knew about His Majesty the emperor, the more Song Yuan felt that this was a dangerous topic.

Continuing to talk, continuing to try to understand, Song Yuan feared that she truly wouldn’t be able to overcome this hurdle.

“Alright, alright, let’s not talk about him.” Song Yuan was the first to drop the topic. She told Rong Ting, “Today is the weekend. There are many people here, and I’m afraid you won’t be used to it. Let’s just walk around this neighborhood. There’s a bookstore1 in the area. I noticed that you like to read books; I’ll buy you a few, is that good?”

Rong Ting was still a child, after all, and his attention was very quickly diverted. He indeed enjoyed reading books. Even if he wasn’t familiar with the characters here, under Mother Empress’s guidance, he could probably figure out the general pattern. Give him a bit of time, and he would be able to understand it.

“Mother Empress, are there the Four Treasures of the Study2 at home?” Rong Ting was an obedient child. Although this was Mother Empress’s residence, and despite his curiosity, he only gave a cursory glance. He didn’t dare to explore in depth, let alone go through Mother Empress’s things without her permission.

Gu should not neglect my studies. Gu has not practiced calligraphy for several days; it would not be good if gu is out of practice upon returning to the palace.”

Song Yuan was somewhat surprised. She pulled him over to sit on the sofa, found a notebook and pen from the drawer of the coffee table, and wrote two characters on the paper. “Can you use this pen?”