Chapter 63

The night before Song Yuan left B City, she received an invitation from a female upperclassman from university. The senior said she wanted to treat her to dinner.

At the time, this upperclassman was in the same club as her and took very good care of her. It was just that ever since she graduated, they didn’t get in touch anymore. After all, Song Yuan had still been in school, while her senior was working; their lives didn’t overlap. Suddenly, this upperclassman asked her to dinner, and she agreed without thinking.

The senior’s surname was Jiang, and her full name was Jiang Na. An enthusiastic person, it was said she didn’t perform well on the college entrance exams. Otherwise, it was hard to say whether she couldn’t have been the top scorer in liberal arts.

The two met at a shopping mall near the third ring road. When Song Yuan saw Jiang Na once again, she couldn’t help but feel in her heart that her upperclassman was very gentle. At a glance, she looked like a talented woman with a strong intellectual atmosphere.

“I heard from my friends that you were also in B City.” Jiang Na poured Song Yuan a cup of tea. “I didn’t know if your preferences of habits changed, but I took the liberty of ordering a dessert for you.”

“I like eating sweets nowadays,” Song Yuan giggled. “Xuejie, where do you work now? I didn’t see you at the last club gathering. They said you were really busy.”

“It’s all busy work. I work at a foreign company now, and I’m mainly in charge of greeting customers. Sometimes I travel abroad too.” Jiang Na paused, then took out a packaged box of perfume from her bag. “I didn’t know what you’d like, but I saw this in the duty-free shop and thought it smelled youthful and refreshing. It should suit you.” 

“I didn’t prepare a gift…” Song Yuan was embarrassed to accept this perfume.

“It’s different. I’ve been working for a few years, and you just graduated.” Jiang Na placed the gift in her hand and smiled. “Take it ba, this perfume won’t suit me. My colleagues all might say I’m acting younger than my age.”

The two chatted while eating. The good atmosphere reminded Song Yuan of her senior while in college, when she had frequently taken her out to dinner. How nice!

While they were eating dessert, Jiang Na suddenly asked, “Yuanyuan, you know, Ji Junpei is in the same office building as me now.”

The topic changed so quickly that Song Yuan was left stunned.

“In fact, Ji Junpei and I graduated from the same high school. He’s one year older than me, and I grew up listening to legends about him,” Jiang Na said in a joking tone. “I admire him very much, because even though people say that it’s difficult to rise from rags to riches[1], I think that he can do it.”

Xuejie…” Song Yuan didn’t know what to say.

“I know what you’re going to say. I spoke with Ji Junpei when we were eating together the other day. Yuanyuan, since I know some things, I think I should tell you. Otherwise, it’d be a pity for two people to be unable to be together because of a misunderstanding. Yuanyuan, although you don’t talk about your family situation much, a lot of people know your parents are famous local entrepreneurs. Everyone says your family is rich, and whoever marries you would need to struggle for 20 years less2. There was someone who said this to Ji Junpei at the time. Ji Junpei’s family background is very ordinary. His grandpa had heart bypass surgery, and the medicine costs over two thousand every month. His parents are ordinary office workers.”