Chapter 14

Song Haiping stared at the person standing next to the shoe rack. It was a child, wearing a period costume and vigilantly watching him.

“Who are you?!” Rong Ting was not frightened. Although Mother Empress repeatedly warned him of the darkness in people’s hearts, he felt that he had encountered the most sinister people and the darkest matters. He brought out the dignity of a crown prince–even if he was only five or six years old, his lofty manner couldn’t help but stun others.

“Who are you?” Song Haiping returned to his senses. He frowned, asking, “Who are you, how did you get in?”

Could it be that Yuanyuan rented out the house?

But he didn’t hear Yuanyuan mention it, ah.

“Little kid, is this your house?” Song Haiping asked again.

He had looked at his daughter’s Moments page two days earlier, and the background photo was of this new home, ah. How did she rent out the apartment so quickly?

Rong Ting inspected Song Haiping from top to bottom. He didn’t feel any malicious intent from this person, but he couldn’t relax yet. He was not an adult, after all; if this man wanted to harm him, it would be extremely for him to do so.

Over the past few days, he had come to get a general grasp of how the people here talked. He didn’t dare to reveal his identity in Mother Empress’s absence. After stewing over it in his heart, he said: “Yes, my mom left for work.” Seeming to be afraid that the man would think there were only women and children2 in the house and have malicious thoughts, he added, “Fa–my dad will be home soon3.”

Song Haiping heard this and came to the conclusion that his daughter had rented out the house to a family of three.

He “oh”d and smiled. “What a coincidence. This is my daughter’s house; she must have rented it out to you. Since that’s the case, I’ll be going. But little kid, when you’re alone in the house, pay attention to your safety, ah!”

Song Haiping thought, this was his family’s daughter’s house, after all. If something happened to that girl, it wouldn’t be good, so he kindly told Rong Ting some things to take note of.

For example, don’t climb over the railing, be careful of falling, don’t haphazardly use the gas stove, be careful of carbon monoxide poisoning…and so on.

Rong Ting could accept Song Yuan nagging endlessly like this, but that didn’t mean that he would accept a random stranger acting in such a way. He furrowed his brows and ordered the guest out. “Mister, I still have to study.”

Song Haiping smiled awkwardly, and he was just about to pick up the boxes and leave when he caught a glimpse of the photo hanging on the wall. His vision wasn’t bad, and with a glance he could see that it was the photo that he took with his daughter on the island last year.

The house was rented out, but the photo hadn’t been taken down?

It was almost as though he was possessed4–Song Haiping didn’t know what came over him5. He pointed at the photo of Song Yuan and said to Rong Ting: “This is a photo of my daughter. She’s a careless person–she must have forgotten to take the photo when she rented it out to you. Little kid, can you grab it for me? I’ll take it away.”