Chapter 41

It was a very fulfilling day, but it was also a busy one.

Song Yuan now admired kindergarten teachers.

When there was only Rong Ting, this one child, in the house, she didn’t feel that raising a child was stressful. With several little boys here at this moment, things had become too noisy. Kindergarten teachers were simply the most patient people in the world! She got a headache just imagining herself standing in front of a class of children.

Just cleaning and tidying up the house took nearly an hour with Song Yuan and the auntie’s combined efforts.

After they finished, Song Yuan wrapped up the slice of cake that she had set aside in advance and sent the auntie off at the door with Rong Ting. “Auntie, take this cake back for your granddaughter.”

The auntie was extremely happy. She loved working in this house. Although there was a child at home, he was very clever and didn’t make trouble. The adults were also easy to get along with.

After the auntie left, the house was left with only Rong Ting and Song Yuan. After the mother-son pair washed up, they sat on the couch and watched TV like usual. This was an activity reserved just for their daily parent-child bonding.

Rong Ting didn’t like watching cartoons, nor did he enjoy watching TV shows.

What did he like to watch? Song Yuan had been caught by surprise. He liked to watch Animal Planet1 and documentaries. His taste was quite simple.

“How does it feel to have friends?” Song Yuan asked Rong Ting.

The children had had a great time and played until they were exhausted.

The corners of his lips curled up, but Rong Ting still said: “Gu does not have friends.” 

Song Yuan gave him a glance. “Aren’t they already your friends? They’re very good to you, and they share their toys with you. That’s a friend.”

That was a friend?

Rong Ting grunted. “It’s not bad. While living in the palace, gu did not have friends.”

Song Yuan had guessed that the ancient imperial palace was strict with its hierarchy, but hearing Rong Ting say this in a serene tone, as his mother, her heart ached. “There was no one to accompany you to play?”

“There was.” Rong Ting continued to speak in a light tone. “Father Emperor found two playmates for gu. Both were the sons of ministers in court. One was the same age as gu and another was two years older than gu, but they only had fearful respect for gu. Perhaps it was that they were berated by their elders at home, but they yielded to gu in everything. Does Mother Empress consider this a friend?”

Song Yuan thought a bit, then very honestly shook her head. “That wouldn’t be considered a friend.”

“Gugu, you’re so pitiful.” Song Yuan couldn’t bear it and gave Rong Ting a hug. “Let Mom hug you.”

Rong Ting looked puzzled. “Pitiful?”

Song Yuan didn’t know what to say. Since young, Rong Ting had lived in an environment where it was difficult for him to make friends. Others feared him, and even if they got close, it was in order to gain benefits.