Chapter 36

Once the waiter left, the compartment was quiet.

If nothing else, everyone knew that Song Yuan and Ji Junpei had an ambiguous relationship, though they weren’t a couple. The reasons Ji Junpei returned to China and acted as their host for dinner were one, to reminisce about the past, and two, to be together with Song Yuan. Everyone knew this, but they hadn’t expected a Cheng Yaojin to show up suddenly along the way1. This person had paid for the bill, and he’d even done it in Song Yuan’s name–their relationship must not be ordinary.

Song Yuan broke the silence. “Well, are you all going to go to karaoke later? I’m not going, I have some things to do at home.”

Those present, including Ji Junpei, could see that Song Yuan was, indeed, a bit distracted today.

It wasn’t their style to force her to go to karaoke with them. Everyone was quite easygoing–if Song Yuan didn’t want to go, then they wouldn’t force her.

But Ji Junpei offered, “I’ll send you home.”

Song Yuan was a bit annoyed. Not with Ji Junpei, of course, but with their complicated relationship.

“No need, I drove over myself.” She paused, then added, “You all go and have fun. There’s someone waiting for me at home.”

She didn’t dare to lie to them that it was her boyfriend. One of the female upperclassmen was very direct and outspoken. If she asked her to call her boyfriend over to sing with them, who would she call?

Hearing that Song Yuan had come over by car, Ji Junpei had no excuse to send her off. After all, although he had a driver’s license, he hadn’t had a chance to touch a car during the few years he was abroad. He hadn’t driven on the roads until now, and he wasn’t someone who would do things halfway. Surely it couldn’t be that he would drive her? It would be dangerous.

Song Yuan headed for the parking lot as she called Rong Heng.

She guessed that he was the one who paid for the bill. It was logical to call and ask about it.

The call connected very quickly, and the other’s voice was as gentle as ever. “Hello, Miss Song.”

“Was it you who paid for our bill today?” Song Yuan asked him directly.

En. I came to eat dinner with a client and happened to see you go in. I figured you were eating with friends and paid the bill for you after remembering the room number.”

For a friend he had just gotten to know, this behavior was a bit overly enthusiastic.

Song Yuan was naturally embarrassed. “How is this appropriate? It’s not good to let you pay our bill.”

Whose money wasn’t money? It wasn’t like money grew on trees< a href=”#fn2″ id=”ref2″>2.

Rong Heng paused, then asked her, “Are you still in the area? Do you have anything else going on?”

Song Yuan knew that he wouldn’t ask her this question for no reason. She thought about it, then responded with a question of her own. “Are you still here? My friends are all going to karaoke, and I don’t really want to go, so I’m about to drive home.”