Chapter 39

When Song Yuan got up in the morning, she was somewhat absent-minded. She decided that, before the auntie arrived, she would ask Rong Ting about things regarding the ancient times.

Rong Ting was sitting in the chair drinking warm milk.

Song Yuan stewed over the thoughts in her heart for a long while before probingly asking, “I remember that you seemed surprised that I was an only child. Did you think that I had siblings?”

“En.” Rong Ting normally kept the rule of not speaking while eating or sleeping, but seeing Mother Empress bring up a topic he was very interested in, he put down the cup in his hands, looked at her, and said hesitantly, “Gu did not know whether to mention it.”

In the beginning, he had wanted to ask about everything related to Mother Empress, but the palace was filled with Father Emperor’s informers. Whether it was the Grand Tutor or anyone else, no one was willing to divulge even a bit about matters regarding Mother Empress.

He was still young and unable to leave the palace, so the things he could hear and find out were rather limited.

“You can say it, there are no officials here, and neither is your Father Emperor. It’s just the two of us, and I promise I’ll keep it a secret.”

Song Yuan made a zipping motion as she spoke, expressing that she would definitely not say a word2.

Rong Ting was clearly very excited, but he restrained himself with great difficulty. “Gu once heard that gu’s uncle was a war god. He led soldiers like a deity, and he made great contributions to the Daye dynasty.”

War god, led soldiers…

Song Yuan couldn’t help associating it with that sadomasochistic, Mary-Sue dream.

She increasingly felt that she wasn’t having those dreams for no reason.

“Have you met him?”

Rong Ting shook his head. “Have not.”

“Why…” Song Yuan was puzzled. “You said he’s a war god, so he must be very powerful–at least a general. You also call him Uncle. Yet the nephew hasn’t met his uncle–isn’t that unreasonable?”

Rong Ting gazed at Song Yuan, wanting to speak but hesitating.

“Is there something you’re not saying?”

“Gu heard…” He paused. “Gu heard that the war god died in battle.”

Song Yuan’s eyes widened. She once again felt a dull pain in the depths of her heart.

He was called the war god because he was already dead. It was difficult for a living person to become a legend.

He knew that Mother Empress had forgotten many things, so when he came here, he did his utmost to avoid bringing up such topics, lest he make Mother Empress sad. Now, it seemed that he had done something wrong and mentioned something he shouldn’t have to Mother Empress.

Seeing Song Yuan not speaking, her face frozen, he walked over to her and hugged her waist. “Mother Empress, I am still here.”