Chapter 29

By this time, all the office workers had already left work. Today was Friday, as well as Christmas Eve. Most youths had gone to celebrate, so the bus was empty.

Song Yuan and Rong Heng got on the bus and looked for a seat. They sat in the back row, with Song Yuan seated by the window.

Song Yuan had originally thought that Rong Heng wouldn’t sit next to her. After all, they weren’t very familiar with each other. She didn’t expect that as soon as she sat down, he took the seat right beside her. When she looked over, he said with a faint smile, “You don’t mind me sitting here, do you?”

“No, no, I don’t mind.” Of course she didn’t mind. It wasn’t like the bus was her home.

Song Yuan felt a bit embarrassed. Rong Heng had given her two apples. On Christmas Eve, many businesses would give out apples, and on Valentine’s Day, there would be people giving out roses at the subway station. Nobody would refuse such a small gift–it brought in fortune, after all.

It was just that she didn’t have any apples to give him, which was more or less embarrassing.

She unconsciously rummaged around in her bag, only to find a pouch of strawberry milk1. The rest were necessities. They were both adults; it’d be rather awkward to give him a carton of strawberry milk.

She gave him a sidelong glance. He was looking intently out the bus window.

From the angle, if she had been more narcissistic, she would think that he was looking at her.

“What is it?” He asked her with a light smile.

Song Yuan hurriedly shook her head. “Are you a local? You don’t sound like you have an accent.”

“I’m not a local. I just came here to do something–” Rong Heng paused, “–to meet someone I want to see.”

“No wonder I thought you had a B accent. Are you from B City?” Song Yuan smiled. “My grandfather worked in B City when he was young, and I used to go there often when I was little, so I’m familiar with the accent.”

Rong Heng seemed lost in thought. “By geographical location, I should be considered to be from B City.”

?

Song Yuan was amused by his solemn explanation. 

While they were in the middle of talking, Song Yuan’s cell phone rang. It was a video chat request from WeChat. She took out her phone from her bag and saw it was a video chat request from Rong Ting.

The facts proved that intergenerational parenting2 was real and true. She had bought Rong Ting a children’s smartwatch, and her father later took him to go shopping and unexpectedly bought him an iPad. Her father was extraordinarily self-justified, saying that all his friend’s grandsons had tablets, and his grandson naturally couldn’t lag behind others.

WeChat was downloaded on the iPad, and her father helped Rong Ting sign up for an account.

Rong Ting knew when her lunch break was and would occasionally video chat with her. He found it very strange.

Song Yuan gave Rong Heng an apologetic smile, then accepted the video chat.

As she accepted the call, Rong Heng silently turned to the side, as though not wanting to disturb her chat.