Chapter 24

Today, both Chen Linjing and Song Haiping had social obligations, and it was difficult to bring Rong Ting. When Song Yuan returned home with the cake, Rong Ting was practicing calligraphy.

Night fell earlier in the winter. She got off work at half-past five, and it was already dark by the time she came home.

Her parents knew that she was busy at work, and it would be too difficult for her to also have to cook, so they had hired an auntie. The auntie didn’t live in the house, and she was usually in charge of cleaning and cooking. The auntie had already left by this time, but the food on the table was still hot.

Rong Ting wanted to wait to eat together with her.

There were two meat dishes, one vegetable dish, and one soup, but as they ate, Rong Ting kept his eyes trained on the delectable strawberry cake.

“Finish your dinner first,” Song Yuan reminded him. “If you still have room after eating, then you can eat the cake. If not, we can keep it in the fridge and eat it tomorrow.”

Rong Ting let out an “oh.”

Every day, Song Yuan would tell Rong Ting about how her day went, and today was no exception. After her usual complaint about a certain troublesome client, she recalled the man she had encountered at the bakery and said: “I ran into a man while buying the cake today. He was very good-looking, but I think his looks were secondary, la. He had an air about him, and he didn’t feel like the average guy.”

Rong Ting was somewhat unhappy after hearing these words.

Before, he hadn’t known what it meant to be good-looking1 or not good-looking. Now, after all this time learning, he understood everything.

Deep down, he thought it was inappropriate for Mother Empress to praise another man’s good looks like that.

Song Yuan was still immersed in her own world. Some time ago, she had spotted a youth with white hair out on the streets. At that time, she had thought of His Majesty the emperor Gugu had spoken of.

This year, dyeing one’s hair all sorts of different colors seemed to be all the rage–she had already come across white hair several times. When she saw it the first time, she thought of the emperor, but after several times, she wouldn’t continue to think of him.

“This bakery is near our community. Does he also live here?” Song Yuan was part of the good-looks club. It wasn’t that she liked the man she had just seen–she was just curious. “But if he really lived around here, why have I never seen him?”

Rong Ting couldn’t bear it anymore. He lowered his spoon and said to Song Yuan, very seriously: “Mother Empress, one must eat and sleep in silence.”

Such a rule like “eating and sleeping in silence” was basically obsolete.

Song Yuan lifted her head to look at him. Only then did she notice his mood. “What’s wrong? You don’t seem very happy.”

He had clearly been quite happy when she had come home.

Song Yuan thought about it, then understood what was going on. She asked probingly, “Are you unhappy that I’m praising other people for being good-looking? How can you drink so much vinegar2? I praise you for being good-looking every day.”