Chapter 66

Going out to buy New Years goods1 was Song Yuan’s favorite part of New Years. The lanterns and banners all around gave off a strong flavor of the new year. Andy Lau’s “Gong Xi Fa Cai”2 was playing on an endless loop, and the brainwashing effect was strong; Rong Ting even started humming along after hearing it one too many times.

Usually, she bought couplets3 every year, but this year, Song Yuan just bought red paper and solemnly handed the task of writing couplets to Rong Ting.

With a child who could write brush calligraphy at home, there was no need to buy couplets.

Song Yuan loved to visit the stationery aisle. Rong Ting clearly had enough pencils, but she still bought him pencils, and notebooks, and a few pencil sharpeners, and let’s not mention the sweet-scented and cute erasers. Rong Ting was helpless, knowing he couldn’t dissuade her.

Finally, after much picking and choosing, Song Yuan bought a cute diary with a lock on the front and gave it to Rong Ting. “This is for you. You’ll be learning how to keep a diary soon. Don’t worry, Mom won’t peek. You can write whatever you want to write.”

That being said, she didn’t know if she would become a parent interested in her child’s secrets in the future.

When she was in high school, her parents infringed on her personal space every day. Of course, these two people had been openly lurking4.

Song Yuan wanted to treat her amnesia, and it wasn’t all talk. These past few days, she had been searching for information, and finally she found that one of her high school classmates was working as a nurse at the People’s Hospital. This was a joyful surprise. Everyone knew that it was easier to work with acquaintances, and she had a good relationship with this classmate. Although they’d graduated for many years, even now they were still in each other’s Moments and had a ‘mutual likes and comments’ relationship. In the age of the Internet, this was equivalent to being half a girlfriend.

She contacted this old classmate on WeChat. She didn’t say that she was the one who wanted to treat her amnesia, only saying that it was a friend. There were many instances of ‘I have a friend who X’ these days, so she had no psychological burden.

On this day, she wanted to go see the hospital under the guise of seeing her classmate. The classmate worked as a nurse in the inpatient unit. They worked in three shifts, and today was a morning shift. Song Yuan bought some food and drove to the hospital.

The high school classmate was delighted to see her, but there weren’t many people at the nurse’s desk at this time, and she couldn’t leave, so the two just stood there by the nurse’s desk and chatted.

“I asked the doctor about your situation. The doctor said that amnesia is usually divided into two types. One is physiological–if the brain suffers damage, it may cause memory loss. The other is psychological. Apparently, the human mind has a defense mechanism. If you are psychologically traumatized, it could lead to memory loss. The former can be treated by the neurology department. If it’s the latter, it should be treated by a professional psychologist. It’s a case by case circumstance.

“Yuanyuan, you’re still the same as before ah, so concerned over your friends’ matters. You even specially came to the hospital to ask.”

Song Yuan blushed guiltily at this praise. After all, the person with amnesia was her…

“Wait for me a bit more, at most ten minutes. When my colleague comes over, I can get lunch. Today is my treat ah.” The high school classmate was enthusiastic. “Our hospital is near a skewers and hotpot business that’s really good. I remember you liked spicy food.”