Chapter Twenty-Four - The Letter

I woke to someone grabbing my shoulder and shaking it softly. My eyes flickered open and I saw Fadelle shaking me.

"Come on, Urs. I have to show you something. Orpa would've wanted me to." She whispered.

I nodded my head and slowly pulled the blankets off me, expecting the cool London air to hit my bare legs until I noticed I was in Australia. I pulled on some sweat pants lazily and followed Fadelle to the front door.

I rubbed my eyes tiredly as the sun burned my eyes and I covered them straight away.

"Too bright?" Fadelle muttered with a hint of a laugh in her voice.

"For this hour in the morning." I nodded and smiled reassuringly.

"Sorry for bringing you out so early, but you're leaving tonight and I wanted to show you before I forgot, like Orpa always did." She pulled me along the path towards her small yellow car. I furrowed my eyebrows in confusion.

I'm confused as to what she was talking about, let alone where she was taking me.

"Fadelle, do you want me to drive?" I suddenly asked.

"No, I'm fine. Besides, you don't know where I'm taking you so thank you but I'm fine."

I opened the door and hopped in, buckling the seatbelt in tightly.

Fadelle inserted her key into ignition and the car purred into life. She backed out of the drive way and headed down the road.

After a few moments passed, I asked the question that was puzzling me.

"Why isn't Jade coming?" I turned towards her. Her sun glasses sat upon the bridge of her nose and she smiled slightly, gripping tightly to the steering wheel. It was nice to see her smile. After all, our best friend had died right in front of her eyes, it was surprising that she even dared to hint a smile.

"Because it's not for her. It's for you."

"And Orpa wants me to see it?"

"Like I said, it's for you." 

I turned back to the front and watched all the houses we passed.

Finally, Fadelle pulled up into Orpa's drive way. Orpa?

"Why are we at Orpa's house?" I asked, alarmed.

"You'll see, Urs. Don't worry, just chill." 

I unbuckled my seatbelt and let myself out. I followed Fadelle up towards Orpa's back gate and she allowed herself in.

Fadelle bent down and picked up a key from underneath the door mat. I gave her a confused glance.

"Since I come over so much, Orpa's parents insisted on telling me where the key is to the house so I could let myself in." 

I nodded my head in acceptance and she inserted the key into the lock. She turned it and the door flew open. She stepped inside and I followed.

This felt so wrong. Going inside someone's house when they're dead and their parents are in a coma. This felt like I was trespassing but I forbid myself to think like that, as Fadelle did say she brought me here to show me something.

Fadelle took my hand and lead me upstairs. The stairs creeked as they always did. We got up to Orpa's room and Fadelle opened the door. 

The sweet smell of Vanilla scent still lingered in the atmosphere. Her room always smelt so beautiful. Orpa loved having all these smells in her room. But when it was raining, she'd open her window and let the sweet smell of rain enter.