02

"Beauty may be dangerous, but intelligence is lethal

"Beauty may be dangerous, but intelligence is lethal."

I watched as Alana swam over to us, "Illia found another boat."

A grin washed over my face, "How many are there?"

"She counted six, but there's possibly more."

Nixie and I gave each other a side glance before following behind Alana.

As we neared the small rowboat, we noticed Illia already above the surface.

I stopped just short of breaching the surface, and instead of emerging from the front where I would be seen, I swam to the other side and poked my head up, just catching the tail end of what the man in the boat was saying to Illia. "...then maybe people wouldn't fear you as much."

Illia smirked and floated closer to his boat, "You want people to fear us less?"

I watched the man in the boat grip his paddle and point it at Illia, "Yes. Very few go into the seas anymore, and that's not good for anyone."

Illia stared at the paddle pointed at her face, "And what's stopping me from killing you?"

The man straightened his back, "Knowledge is a powerful tool. We can exchange information, and these idiots that I've brought, and you let me report my findings."

Illia glanced slightly behind him, staring me in the eye. Her smile broadened, "Alright, but I won't talk to you," Her eyes fastened on the man's face, "One of my more knowledge driven sisters will exchange with you."

The man slowly pulled the paddle back into the boat. "How do you want me to give them to you?" He gestured to the other unconscious bodies on the boat.

Illia made a swirl in the water with the tip of her finger, a gesture for Alena, and waited until she joined her. "This is Alena," Illia made her way toward the boat, "They're still alive?"

The man nodded.

"Wonderful, would you mind just throwing them in? Our sisters will retrieve them." Illia left it to Alena to oversee the body dump as she sunk down under before popping up next to me. As the man dumped bodies she whispered to me, "He's a scholar."

"And he wants us to tell him all of our secrets? And you want us to?"

Illia smiled, "Of course not. I want you to toy with him."

It was my turn to smile, "Why not just sing to him, pull him in, and be done with it?"

Illia struggled not to laugh, "What's the fun in that? Oh, and Astrid, find out what he believes to be the most important thing he knows."

"Do you want me to be honest with him?"

She looked me in the eyes, "Do anything you can to earn his trust. It doesn't matter anyway, he'll die."