35

"Where the story turns, it becomes new

"Where the story turns, it becomes new. And when a story becomes new, the possibilities become endless."

I was reliving the nightmare of a night I had. Instead of being gently rocked to sleep by the waves, I was constantly being pulled to the deep water where my heart lived.

The tiny cot I was sleeping on was no longer the comfortable luxury I once thought it to be, and it was now incomparable to the soft, rocking waves of the sea.

Most of my night had been spent in a half conscious while my mind wandered about creating stories meant to lull me to sleep.

None of the scenarios worked.

That was the reason I was able to hear soft padding outside my door, and hear a soft tap on my door- a half knock -before the footsteps retreated.

I sat up and looked to the door. There was no evidence someone was trying to make their way in.

I stood and walked to the door before opening it, slightly.

Outside the door was the same empty hallway it usually was, but there was a new addition.

On the floor, just outside the door was a small black box with silver lining.

I picked it up before shutting the door behind me, taking the box to my cot.

I unlatched the clasp and swung the lid open to reveal a hair pin, seated on dark blue velvet, and decorated with swirling blue gems and pearls.

My mind whirred trying to figure out who would care to give me such a lovely gift.

I didn't come up with a satisfying answer, but I styled my hair simply using the pin to hold it together. Whoever gave it to me would know I appreciated the gesture.

Outside the small window I could see the sun beginning to rise, so I decided instead of clinging to the small bit of rest I would go get some breakfast.

I dressed in a two piece set I could swim in and covered it with a light dress.

I walked through the halls of the ship becoming familiar to me, and up the stairs to the deck.

"Well you're awake early."

I turned to see Olly just as he sat a glass of milk down to stand and greet me, I smiled, "I couldn't sleep very well. I was going to ask if you'd want to eat with me, but it seems you've already eaten."

"Sorry Astrid. Early days until you get back I'm afraid."

I slightly frowned, turning to the dining hall, "That's okay."

"If you hurry I think Phillip is still in there." He picked up his milk and sat back down.

I paused, "Phillip?"