23

"It is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so deeply

"It is both a blessing and a curse to feel everything so deeply."

Hera pulled open the curtains, letting light stream into my room.

I pulled a pillow over my eyes, "Let me sleep."

Hera sat down on the end of my bed, "You must wake up now, miss. The King requested you join him for breakfast."

"Why do humans insist on waking up so early? Sirens never wake up just after the sun."

"Well," Hera spike quickly as if this was a secret, "If the rumors going around are true, then they will be discussing your departure today."

I pulled the blanket off of me and sat up, "Well pick me out a dress, we don't want to keep them waiting."

Hera pulled out a golden tulle dress and draped it over the privacy divider.

She helped me slip out of my nightgown and into the dress before brushing and styling my hair.

I rushed out the door and down to the dining room as soon as I could, "Good morning." The King said from his large seat.

Caspian stood and smiled, pulling my seat out for me, "Good Morning Astrid."

I nodded to both of them and sat, "Good morning."

The King cut his egg, "As you may have already heard, we will be discussing the options of your departure."

I watched the servant pour milk into my glass, "Options?"

"Yes." He put a but of the food into his mouth, chewing before talking again, "You see, the boat that could make the trip will take a week to prepare."

"So I depart in a week?"

He sighed, "It's not that simple. It's supposed to storm all this and next week."

I drank some of the milk, "So I leave in two weeks?"

"Three. They can't prepare the ship in a storm."

I nodded, "I suppose that is agreeable."

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

"A few weeks!" Calliste screeched and fell onto the bed.

"Be optimistic Callie, at least now the court will be more focused on you and not me."

She sat up and looked at me, "I never wanted the courts attention I just wanted a friend."

"Call-"

The door swung open and Nixie stood in the doorway with a gigantic grin covering her face, "I just had the best day of my life."

Calliste and I exchanged glances. Hers was something saying 'I told you so' and mine was something saying 'don't you dare say anything'.

"What happened? Something with Tony?" Calliste stood from the bed.

Nixie couldn't stop smiling as she sighed and flopped onto the bed, "He's just the most wonderful guy I've ever met. He's kind and funny and generous, he's everything I thought no man could be, he's-" Her smile fell when she looked up and into my eyes.

"He's a guy, Nixie. They're all the same." I walked to my vanity and sat in the chair.

Nixie fully sat up, "No they're not, I mean, I used to think the same thing! But Tony, he's not like the guys we drown at sea."

"Nixie, there is no way one guy is all of those things and there isnt something wrong with him. Watch him like other guys, or be a murderer or something else insane."

"I think it's romantic." Calliste sat next to Nixie on the bed, "What did you do that made you float in on a cloud?"

"He took me to the lake and we rode on a boat through these trees. It was magical. As we float down the lake he told me a poem he'd been working on about me and then when the sun set he kissed me." She sighed like a lovesick puppy, "It was perfect."

Calliste's jaw dropped before she just her lip, "Where can I buy one?"

I looked quizzicaly at Nixie, "You were in a boat. Surrounded by water. With a guy. And you didn't drown him."

Nixie turned a bright shade of red, "I could never drown Tony."

I barked out a laugh, "Oh dear, you've got it bad. You're almost like a mortal."

"Astrid!"

"No, Nixie!" I stood from the chair, "You should know better! Don't you remember Rorie? What happened to her?"

"No, actually, I don't! Nobody bothered to ask her what happened. Nobody went up close to the surface and asked, 'Hey Rorie, why'd you leave the sea?' She'd probably talk about the bullshit lies we were fed! Some of the land guys aren't even bad!"

"Nixie, you can't mean that. Sirens don't fall in love."

"Says who? The same people who say every man is the same!"

"That's because they are! Name one guy who isn't a selfish pig."

"I can name several! Tony, The King, Caspian for hells sake."

I scoffed, "Oh please. All men want you for the same reason they want any other girl."

"Take that back Astrid. You're just bitter cause nobody has ever loved you."

I turned to her. The rage boiling in my stomach was just doused with water and now all I felt was hurt.

Tears filled my eyes as I looked at her. I turned to the door and stormed out, heading for the docks.