20

"We always forget that everything is temporary

"We always forget that everything is temporary."

The sun shone down on my face as Calliste and I walked down the worn stone paths of the market.

Calliste had picked up accessories for the both of us before I came, and we were rushing to get to the apple stand before the last one was taken.

I got on my tip toes to look over the crowd of people surrounding the sweet fruit. "I can hardly see them."

"While we're waiting." Calliste crossed her arms, "is there something you need to tell me?"

I turned to her and smiled, "No," I looked to the side at the vendor for a moment before looking back at her, "What would I be hiding?"

Calliste shrugged before dropping her hands in front of her. She looked forward nonchalantly, "I just heard through the grapevine vine a certain Prince went into the fitting room normal, and left all blushy and flustered." She side eyed me, "I also happen to know a certain siren was getting fitted before she joined me."

"How did you hear about that so fast?" I couldn't help but smile at her, "You we're in the market already!"

"Well, I make sure I know everything of interest. It pays to be informed." She turned to me, "Now talk. What happened?"

I turned forward and tried to keep a straight face. (I'll forever deny that I was failing.) "Nothing really, I just asked him to help me out of the dress I was being fitted in so I wouldn't be late."

Calliste's jaw dropped, "You. Did. Not."

I nodded, "I wasn't aware that it was improper."

My cheeks unwillingly blushed.

"Astrid! That's awful!" She laughed. "Tell me exactly what happened."

I started feeling self conscious, "I honestly had no idea. The seamstress had run off somewhere and I didn't want to wait on her. I just asked him to unlace the back of the dress. Nothing crazy or anything."

Calliste grabbed her stomach from laughing too hard. I smiled uncomfortably as those around us looked at her laughing uncomfortably.

When she settled down, people went back to their conversations and she placed her hand on my shoulder, "Astrid, I clearly need to have a discussion with you on what's proper and what is most definitely not."

I moved forward in line as she started listing off things quietly, "First, undressing in front of a man you are not wed is most definitely not."

I tilted my head, "Wed?"

"Married to."

I gave a hop less expression.

"You don't have marriage in the sea?"