37

"We're all so desperate to be understood, but we forget to be understanding

"We're all so desperate to be understood, but we forget to be understanding."

Caspian was reading Phillip's brother's book.

He had spent all this time with Astrid, without trying to learn about her. He'd never even considered it.

His father had taught him that every person in his kingdom had a purpose, but reading documentation of what a Siren thought...

He didn't think Siren's cared about purpose. They thought of all humans as interchangeable.

He couldn't help but wonder if Astrid thought of him as interchangeable.

'You forget that in a Siren's world, a kiss means nothing.'

He refocused on the page and finished reading what Phillip wrote, about how 'Siren-A' had killed him.

He wondered if Astrid knew Siren-A. She probably wouldn't tell, considering Phillip would hunt whoever it was.

Caspian closed the book and pulled out his journal.

The differences between Sirens and Humans are more vast than I imagined. Sirens don't feel emotions quite like humans do.

Even though Astrid acts normal, there's still an unrefined part of her. She's never happier than when she's in the water, or when she's toying with someone. It's like a game to her.

I'm begining to wonder if Sirens see humans how humans see animals.

He closed the book and slid it back into the drawer of his desk. There was a commotion coming from deck. He stood and walked to the door.

Astrid was chanting a sea shanty with the crew members as they danced around her.

"My heart is pierced by Cupid
I disdain all glittering gold
There is nothing can console me
But my jolly sailor bold!"

Caspian pulled Olly out of the chaos, "What's going on?"

"Astrid had never heard the song when Bill started singin' it. So we all started shouting it and she joined in with us. Were just havin a bit of fun Cap'n."

He watched Astrid dance around with the crew, taking a bottle of who knows from Charlie and downing a shot, making a sour face, "Keep an eye on her. We wouldn't want any accidents." He walked toward his office and set up a barrel outside the door. He hopped up on it and just watched the crew bounce around.

"Come all you pretty fair maids,
whoever you may be
Who love a jolly sailor bold
that ploughs the raging sea!"

He smiled as he watched Astrid letting loose among the crew. He didn't know if a shanty like this could trigger whatever singing magic Astrid had, but it didn't look like any of the crew was falling at her feet because of it.