16

"I play them like a violin, and I make it look oh so easy

"I play them like a violin, and I make it look oh so easy..."

"Astrid," Calliste knocked on my door.

"Yes?" I turned to her from my bed.

She pushed the door fully open when she saw I was awake. She spread her arms slightly, "What do you think?"

I looked over the copper dress that climbed over one of her shoulders. I smiled, "It's lovely."

She giggled, "Thank you! I found it in the market the week before I got on Caspian's boat and I've been dying to wear it ever since."

I pulled the blanket off of my legs and stood in my nightdress. "I could hardly sleep last night." The sun beamed through the window, lighting up my face.

"Why?"

A handmaiden the King had selected for me silently walked into the room. Her name was Hera.

Hera walked over to my newly stocked wardrobe. She pulled out the navy blue dress and draped it over the vanity chair.

"I could hardly wait until the morning," I replyed to Calliste, ignoring Hera. I sighed before I sat in the vanity chair, careful to avoid the dress, "and now I have to wait until this afternoon."

"You're...excited? For this afternoon?" Calliste asked as she sat in a lounge chair by the window. Hera silently brushed through my hair.

I smiled, somewhat bashfully, "Of course I am. I only wish Nixie would join me. You know, I asked her if she would, but she said she had 'other things she needed to do'." I met my own eyes in the mirror. "Whatever that means."

Calliste hummed and silently looked out the window. She stood and walked over to Hera, "Here." She handed her a brooch with navy blue gems on it. Hera twisted half of my hair around until she secured it with the brooch, letting the rest flow down my back.

Hera helped me slip on the navy dress, and afterward I grabbed a small bag with my makeshift outfit that I would be swimming in.

I gave the bag to a small boy who would take it to the beach where the King was setting up seating to watch the event this afternoon.

The King and Caspian were set to meet with me before we officially started the event. They wanted to introduce me to the volunteers before the event started.

A fiery apprehension built in the pit of my stomach.

I was confident I could handle anyone who signed up.

But could I handle the looks Caspian would give me after?

I thought about it as we walked to the throne room.

The large grey doors towered over me before they were opened to reveal the lovely room.

Instead of the court swarming the sides, the room was mostly empty besides the group of people gathered around the base of the Kings throne.

I scanned the crowd, only for Caspian's face to be none of them.

My thoughts were concentrated on where he could be as I strut to the end of the path that led to the group.

I curtseyed lightly to their king, "Are these the volunteers?" I asked.

The king nodded, "Caspian was to introduce them, however he seems to be running late."

I pressed my brows closer together, "Is he usually-"

The doors swing open to reveal Caspian, who rushed down the path before giving a father bow to his father. "Sorry I was late, I got caught up managing the stands going up by the ocean."

The king waved his hand, "No matter."

Caspian turned to me and reluctantly nodded his head in greeting.

Caspian led me to the front of the line of people, the first in line was a man with tanned skin around Caspian's age. "This is Gunther, he is a farmer."

Gunther smiled and nodded his head to me.

We walked a step to the right revealing a dark skinned man, "This is Paul. Paul works in the castle as an assistant chef."

Another step to the right and I met Jonas. Jonas was a schoolteacher.

Another step led me to Finn. Finn was a blacksmith.

I met four other men who's names and occupations blended together inseparably.

The last man in line was slightly younger than the others in the group. He looked older than a gangly child, but not yet old enough to scrape together facial hair.

His name was Alexander and he worked as an errand boy for the castle.

None of the men had overly bulky builds and all of them looked at me with different emotions.

Near half of them looked with barely veiled lust, some loked with adoration mixed with wonder, and Alexander looked at me in fear.

"If Introductions are complete, then maybe we make our ways to the beach?" Caspian asked.

Alexander raised his hand and waited until Caspian signaled for him to speak, "What is she going to do to us?"

I smiled in pity for the young man.

"She's going to show me her skills." The King answered for me.

I smiled at Alexander before walking toward the door.

Calliste met me in the hallway.

"Are you actually looking forward to drowning those people?"

"Of course I am. It's what I do."

"I just can't imagine you willingly murdering someone. You've got the most docile personality."

I scoffed, "Clearly you need to be around me more."

We walked together with the rest of the palace down to the beach where tall stands were being temporarily stabilized.

I walked up to Caspian, "You need to pull out Alexander."

He looked at me, "Why?"

"He's anxious. His nerves will make him uncomfortable under the spell."

"How would you know? You've never spared anyone." Caspian fumed.

"You don't get to ask me questions. Take Alexander out."

Caspian met my eyes.

I suppose he saw something because his expression softened.

He almost looked regretful when he told me, "There's nothing I can do now. He's officially signed up."