40

° ◗ 3 Years Later ◖°

Caspian smiled when he breathed in the salty air.

Even though years had passed since Astrid had left, the softly moving waves made him wonder about her. He hadn't seen or heard from her since she left, but he knew she was doing good without him.

Calliste made sure to keep him updated whenever she got back from visiting Astrid, letting him know about how well she was doing without him.

Apparently Astrid was living a more casual Siren life, with significantly less people being killed every year.

Calliste made sure to tell him the reason for that was Astrid, who was one of the most successful Sirens before her time on land.

He focused back on the miles of blue water in every direction.

The ocean would always remind him of her.

He turned from the railing to look at the blonde waiting for him near the helm.

She smiled and set the toddler hanging from her shoulder on the ground. When the toddler turned and saw Caspian she smiled and waddled over.

He crouched down when she got close and lifted her into the air, "Eleanor."

She smiled so wide it exposed her small teeth growing in as his wife walked over to him, "How long are you going to stare at the water before we set course for home?" She smiled and kissed him on the cheek.

"Until I sail you to the end of the world, my love." He smiled and wrapped his free arm around her.

"Then you'll have to sail me to you." She said leaning her head on his shoulder.

Eleanor squirmed in his arms, "Daddy look!" She blubbered out, "I's a mermaid!" Eleanor pointed to the water behind him.

Caspians wife- Hyacinth -laughed and turned, "Ellie, there is no such thing as mermaids. It's just a myth."

Caspian turned quickly, "Where?"

He walked quickly to better look where Eleanor was pointing, but he only saw the miles of empty water.

"Come on Caspian, you don't really believe in myths like mermaids." Hyacinth walked over to them and rubbed her hand over Caspian's back.

Caspian pursed his lips. He wished Hyacinth had lived in his kingdom years ago when Astrid had proved that mermaids, more correctly known as Sirens, were real.

But then again, if she had been in his kingdom then, she would have known of his obsession with her.

Hyacinth was the only reason he stopped searching for Astrid.

Because no matter how long, or how much he sailed, Astrid would always be able to avoid him.

"I believe nothing is impossible."

She smiled and looked to the water, seeing nothing above the surface, "When you find a mermaid, then I'll believe you." She stepped closer and kissed him on the lips before grabbing Eleanor out of his arms. "If you're going to stare at the water for another hour, then I am going to take this one and get some food." She smiled and walked away as Caspian made a noise of acknowledgement.

He kept his eyes on the softly crashing waves of the water, trying to catch a glimpse of anything above or under the water.

His heart lurched painfully, hoping desperately that it was Astrid.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Astrid could have sworn the water level rose an inch with the amount of tears streaming from her eyes.

Caspian looked domestic and happy as the blonde woman rubbed her hand on his back.

She knew this was his wife, because she witnessed his proposal.

Part of her knew the reason Caspian proposed on a boat was so that word would get to her that he was marrying someone else.

He probably didn't know she was the unlucky one who had to watch the way his wife's face lit up when he gave her the ring.

Calliste had told her that his wife's name was Hyacinth. And the toddler in Caspian's arms was named Eleanor.

Her heart ached for a life she never knew she wanted.

Calliste kept Astrid updated on every part of Caspian's cute domestic life, even when she wished she wouldn't.

Calliste also told Astrid Nixie had a baby last week, a girl they named Astrid.

Caspian's wife smiled at him with a load of love and admiration gleaming in her eyes that even Astrid could see from afar. Hyacinth turned to the water, and even if she didn't know it she made eye contact with Astrid.

The moment lasted only for a split second before Hyacinth kissed Caspian and took Eleanor out of his arms.

The girls walked away from Caspian, who was still searching the surface.

Astrid hoped he was looking for her.

Acting on an impulse, she poked her head above the water, and when Caspian stood alert gripping the rail she knew he saw her.

She waved slowly to him before turning and swimming down deep into the water, putting distance between Caspian and her.

♡♡♡

Final A/N: Wow. You made it, we made it. I'm so thankful for each and every person who has read this story, and I'm especially grateful to those who have made it this far to read this final chapter.

I knew I wanted this story to end in sort of a tragedy, but I hope it wasn't too awful for you

I'm really proud of this story, not only because it's the longest one I've ever written, but also because I just love siren/mermaid lore and there isn't that many stories that showcase their "true" nature.

In fact, if you wanted to know the main reason I love sirens, it's because of Pirates Of The Caribbean: On Stranger Tides which is one of my favorite showcases of how intriguing and dangerous mermaids can be.

In my opinion evil Sirens need more representation in media.

Anyway, thank you SO MUCH for reading and voting and commenting, you have no idea how much it means to me.

- OfficialMaraudersMap