14

"I don't live in darkness, darkness lives in me

"I don't live in darkness, darkness lives in me."

Inside the throne room was different than what I expected.

There were people lined along the sides as Caspian led me in.

The thrones were at the opposite end of the room to us, and a long silver rug led us to the King.

"Son," The King boomed out, "are the reports true? Have you caught a siren?"

Caspian grinned, "Yes father." He stepped aside to reveal me. "Behave." He whispered to me as I stood next to him.

I looked at him, "or what?" I whispered back.

It was time to have some fun.

I walked as close to the throne as I dared and curtseyed (thank you Calliste for teaching me).

"Are you truly one of the monsters of the ocean?" The King raised an eyebrow at me, "Your people are responsible for countless civilians going missing?"

I smirked at the King, "You doubt me?"

The King tilted his head, "Well yes. How do I know you are not, in fact, a poor maiden who fooled my son?"

"How would you have me prove it to you?"

The King looked to Caspian, I also looked and found him nearly laughing. "Son, how do you know she is truly what she says she is?"

"I have seen her in action Father. I've seen her tail as well." A frown settled on his lips as he looked at me, "I've seen her kill."

Gasps rippled through the crowds before they looked at me with renewed interest.

"How is this possible! How can a band of women kill thousands?" The King stood.

Here was my opportunity to have some fun. "I can show you, if you'd like."

Caspian rushed up to me and grabbed my arm, "Don't-"

"How?" The King slowly sat back down.

"All I need is volunteers."

You see, the King is known by many to be a wise and just ruler, however, he has his weaknesses.

And I happened to kill a scholar who knew the most important one.

The King has never passed down an opportunity to bring excitement to his court.

"What would you need volunteers for?" I could tell by the way the King sat at the edge of his seat with a grin hidden beneath his beard and his eyebrows slightly raised, that I had him right where I wanted.

"I told you, I'm going to show you why sirens should be feared."

The King nodded to an attendant nearby, "Then it will be done."

I curtseyed again before walking back to the grey door.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。.

Caspian stayed behind for a moment to stare at his father. He started thinking about Astrid, how long had she been planning this?

"You're dismissed son."

Caspian let his fathers words echo through the room before he too left the room.

Astrid had something planned, and by the sound of it, it would not be peaceful.