(A/N: Apologies for the non aesthetic photos lately, I just love visuals and I want to show you what she's wearing. I will go back to aesthetics next chapter. Thanks!)

"You don't need water to drown

"You don't need water to drown."

I followed Calliste to the carriage waiting for us at the bottom of the ramp.

Caspian was waiting beside his own carriage, but made his way over to us. He scanned both of our outfits before planing a kiss on the back of my hand. My stomach flipped inside out as Caspian spoke, "You look stunning, Astrid. I cannot wait until the whole kingdom gets to awe at your beauty."

A sour rock planted firmly in my stomach. I tried comforting myself in my mind: You're a siren, not a trophy or an object. You could destroy a whole ship by yourself. A few people gawking at you will be worth it in the end because-

Because in the end, your goal is to make Caspian your sea trophy.
I felt sick as we loaded into the carriage.

I tried my best to not relax into the seat in fear that it would ruin Calliste's hard work to make my hair fall into cascading silky ringlets down my back.

"What's on your mind?" Calliste asked me.

I sighed and looked out the window, "I just wish I'd stayed home. Humans are too complicated. I feel like the longer I spend above sea, the more human I become."

"Perhaps that's not a bad thing." Calliste tried to comfort, "I promise that once you see the castle you won't regret a moment that led you to see it."

I smiled at her, "Thank you Calliste. For everything."

"It's my pleasure Astrid. This is also my huge excuse to leave my estate and visit my oldest friend."

"Caspian?"

"Yes. He and I go way back." She fondly smiled. "We are practically siblings now."

"Siblings? But I thought-"

"But everyone thought we were going to become a couple. However I don't think of him into that way." She chuckled dryly before looking out the window, "I'm starting to feel defective for not feeling that way about anyone."

I almost answered, but I was interrupted by an arrow piercing through the window, imbedding into the interior of the carriage just next to my shoulder.

I turned and looked at the arrow, "What's this?" I asked before pulling it out. "It ruined the carriage." I frowned.

Calliste grabbed the arrow from my hand. "Bandits."

Everything suddenly derailed into chaos, the archer had targeted the horses stopping the carriages.

I heard Caspian shouting out side our carriage before our door was swung open by a person in all black, even their face was covered by thin cloth, covering all but their eyes.