13

"It takes one thought, one second, one moment or positive memory to act as a catalyst for the light to gradually seep in

"It takes one thought, one second, one moment or positive memory to act as a catalyst for the light to gradually seep in."

The song all to familiar to my lips, but foreign to land, mixed with Nixie's.

Our voices targeted each bandit individually, melting their minds until their last desire was one of us.

I walked backward, we were currently too far from our normal hunting spot, however the easiest and most enjoyable way to dispose of them was by drowning them.

Luckily we hadn't moved more than a mile past the beach and Nixie and I were able to walk into the water with them closely behind.

We had a total of twelve bandits under our spell,

I walked to the first bandit in my line and wrapped my arms around his neck.

It felt natural to push my lips against his while pulling him further into the crashing waves.

I turned my legs into my tail when I couldn't touch the sand any longer.

I pulled my lips away from his and watched him inhale a lung full of water.

He squirmed and pushed against me, screaming into the ocean causing more air to escape.

I smiled as he finally went limp in my arms.

I swam as close to shore as I could before switching to legs again.

Nixie took the time I spent picking up the song to drag a bandit into the water.

We switched off until only Haksha remained. Nixie and I looked at each other. It was my turn to drown him, however I hesitated when a burning feeling of guilt built in my chest.

I stopped singing altogether. "Nixie, do you think we should let him go? He has no one to run to, and it's unnecessary as he's inky one man-"

Nixie jumped in, "Mercy?" She raised both eyebrows, "You want to show him mercy? Have you sucked in too much air?" She looked at me like I'd lost my mind.

I shook my head. I enjoyed drowning men. "You're right, I'm not sure what came over me."

Nixie scoffed, "I'll do it if you won't." She walked over to Haksha and lurked him into the ocean until I could no longer see them.

I started walking out of the water. My dress was wet, but undamaged, as I walked back to the carriages.

Calliste ran over to me as soon as I breached the road, "Astrid!" She nearly tackled me with the force of the embrace.

She quickly pulled away, "Where's the other girl? How do you know her? Did you..." She cringed, "you know, kill them?"

I smiled and walked next to her, "Nixie is taking care of Haksha. She is another Siren, she's like a sister to me."

We walked over to Caspian, "Are the carriages ready to leave?"

He didn't answer, a firm expression was settled on his face as he stared into my eyes.

I sighed at his resignation toward me and turned to Olly, "Are the carriages prepared?"

Olly eagerly nodded, "We only need you there to board, then we can leave miss."

I nodded, "Thank you Olly."

I turned back to Caspian, "Would Nixie be allowed to join us?"

His expression from before lingered, however he gave a reluctant nod before storming to his carriage.

Calliste and I waited outside our carriage until Nixie returned a few minutes later.

I silently climbed into the carriage. My earlier fears were creeping back into my mind, but a calm settled in my stomach. I was supposed to be having fun. This was supposed to be an easy vacation before I could drown Caspian.

If I went about this excursion like it was a trial, that's what it would be.

But if I went about this excursion as if it were a playful vacation, that's what it would become.

.・。.・゜✭・.・✫・゜・。..・

The castle was only a twenty minute carriage ride from the beach.

Calliste and Nixie worked together to fix my hair after my ocean detour, and it was currently in an artful bun.

I grinned when Olly opened the door, revealing what was mostly blocked by the small windows.

The castle was large and grey with ivory and silver detailing. The cool tones continues into the sky with the arching reminiscent of Roman architecture.

It was truly a sight to behold.

I exited the carriage with Olly's help and took a moment to marvel at the man-made building.

"What do you think?" Caspian asked as he walked beside me.

I didn't take my eyes off the grand castle, "It's spectacular. Truly a miracle that the idiots of mankind could make such beauty."

Caspian decided to ignore the underhanded comment and instead diverted her attention to him, "Why don't we make our way to the throne room? My father's waiting."

I nodded and followed Caspian up the short steps leading to the large front door.

Like magic the doors opened for him, but I soon looked to see servants opening the door.

I wonder how they knew he was right there.

I forgot all my questions when I saw the interior.

The ceilings were covered in paintings framed by silver, arching was used as art and I found myself stopped in the middle of the front room just gazing around.

Caspian smiled at me when he noticed, but he quickly walked over to me, "Astrid," He waited until I looked at him before he tilted his head in the throne rooms direction.

"Right," I smiled before we started walking again.

We made our way through the room before stopping at a large wooden door. The door was painted with a deep grey paint marking it as important.

Caspian nodded to the guard to the left of the door who somehow sent a message to those on the other side to open the door.