Doing nothing

Stiles' sleep was riddled with nightmares. He tossed and turned and woke up more exhausted than when he'd lied down.

A soft knock on his door pulled Stiles from his bed. He opened it expecting to see Derek, instead he found Boyd standing at his door with Erica.

"Morning," Erica beamed with a bright red smile.

"How'd you sleep?" Boyd asked sympathetically, his eyes glanced to the tossed bed sheets on Stiles' bed.

"Great, what's up?" Stiles asked, wiping the sleep from one of his eyes.

"We wanted to see if you wanted anything from Kaliko Café, we're out of coffee and Jackson gets grumpy without it," Erica tossed a look over her shoulder where Jackson was standing, several feet back.

"You're leaving?" Stiles straightened at the news.

"Yeah," Erica frowned at the sudden concern Stiles was showing.

"It's not safe. Kate could be-"

Boyd held up a hand to stop Stiles. "Derek and Isaac ran perimeter just a little while ago. The café is only two blocks away. It's safe."

"Besides, I think you're Kate's priority at this point so really you're the only one who can't leave," Jackson piped up.

Stiles glared at the beta.

"Don't give me that look, it's Derek's rule," Jackson sneered.

"Excuse me?" Stiles raised his brows at Jackson before looking to Boyd and Erica for confirmation.

Boyd let out a sigh, his shoulders slumping.

"Told you he wouldn't take it well," Erica muttered.

"Do you want coffee or not?" Jackson asked impatiently.

"Sure, but be careful."

"We always are," Erica sing songed as she turned to leave.

Derek had the local map laid out to show the new perimeter plan he'd mapped up. He was expanding it since Stiles had become the hunter's most wanted. He was just finishing going over it with the rest of the pack when the loft door burst open, and Stiles stepped in. His hair was damp from his shower still. His blades were strapped to his thighs and a gun on his hip.

"Stiles," Derek frowned. He was suddenly hit with the smell of anger.

"You have me on lock down now?" Stiles demanded, striding towards Derek.

The pack glanced betweenthe two.

The alpha pushed away from the table and towards the hunter. He gently grabbed his arm and pulled him towards the door.

"Let's talk."

Stiles followed obediently.

Derek led them into the training room before letting go of his arm.

"I was planning on talking to you about this. I don't want it to seem like I'm trying to control you. I know how much you hate that. However, I don't think you should leave. Kate is out looking for you and who knows how many hunters. I have Isaac on perimeter duty at the moment. Jackson and Boyd will be joining him. They'll keep an eye out, make sure no one gets too close."

"What if they do?" Stiles asked, running a hand through his still damp hair.

"Then we lay low or relocate if it seems like they found us," Derek explained calmly.

"I can't be locked up here doing nothing," Stiles started to pace.

"You won't be doing nothing. Corey has been in contact with Mason. He's talking to Chris about the next move. They're planning a hunter's assembly, Corey said you might have an idea..."

"A hunter's assembly?" Stiles whipped around to face Derek. "The last time we had one of those was...I was just a child. Every hunter in the area has to be there."

"We have someone on the inside who knows when and where it will be," Derek nodded, a knowing look on his face.

"If I can get a couple hunters on our side...we can ambush them," Stiles smirked.

"When is it supposed to be?" Stiles asked, looking up at Derek. His mind was already racing with ideas.

"Not til the first of next month."

"That's just over a week away. That gives me time to convince a few people. If I can get Allison back on my side. She'll be key in convincing others. We have Mason already, and Chris. They can help," Stiles nodded as he started to pace again.

Derek held back a smile. It was good to see the fight starting to come back to Stiles. He'd been so hopeless the night before.

"Once we get some hunter to agree to talk with us, we can set up a meeting at Mason's house maybe? Plan the ambush," Stiles continued. He stopped pacing to look at Derek, "Do you think you can trust hunters?"

"I trust you," Derek answered simply.

Stiles bit down on his bottom lip, only giving a nod.

"But I am gonna ask you to stay inside at least for a day or two," Derek held his breathe, waiting for Stiles' reaction.

"Fine, but only if you train with me," Stiles agreed.

Derek frowned, "Is this one of those times when you make me think you're being reasonable but then you sneak out?"

Stiles grinned, his head dropping, "Fair accusation, but no. I get it. I don't like it, but I get it. And I can't just sit around and do nothing. I'll feel better about it if I'm doing something productive. We're already in the training room," he gestured to the room around them.

"Besides, if I'm training with you, I can't be sneaking out," Stiles shrugged, a smirk still playing on his lips.

Derek couldn't help the grin that pulled at his own mouth. "Okay. After breakfast though. Scott's making French toast," he lifted his nose as the smell hit it.

"I'll never get used to that," Stiles shook his head.

Derek expected to see a sneer on Stiles' face, but what he saw instead was traces of the smile from a moment ago. Hope blossomed in his chest. Maybe Stiles' view of him was finally changing.

*AN*
Hey, small update for you guys. Life has been hella hectic so I apologize for getting this up so late! I'll try to get the next one up sooner!