uncomfortable

Stiles pushed the small solvent-soaked brush through the chamber of his gun. The cool midnight air felt good on his too warm skin as he sat on the balcony. He felt like he was suffocating, and he wasn't sure why. Perhaps his anxiety was getting the better of him. Or maybe it was the constant pressure of threat crushing him. Whatever it was had him feeling hot and restless.

"Cleaning your gun at this hour?" Allison asked from the door. Her hair damp from the shower.

"Giving Derek time with the pack. I sensed a lot of tension," Stiles answered simply, not looking up.

"Shouldn't you be resting then? Not cleaning a gun?"

"I keep telling myself once the gun is clean, I'll feel better," Stiles answered, still not looking up from where he was twisting the bristled brush through the barrel.

"You can't clean off the feeling of killing Kai. And you shouldn't have to," Allison sat on the black plastic chair that matched the one Stiles was currently sitting in.

Stiles paused his cleaning and looked over at Allison, "You've never killed a hunter, a friend, someone you basically grew up with. I didn't even hesitate. I just reacted and..." Stiles looked away and towards the star littered sky.

"You're right, I haven't. And I wasn't there but...he shot too," Allison looked to the still raw wound.

Stiles dropped his head. "That bullet was meant for Derek, not me."

Allison bit down on her bottom lip, a habit she'd picked up from Stiles.

"When that council meeting happens...we're gonna have to be okay with hurting people we know and cared about."

Stiles looked to Allison again, a sympathy in his eyes that hadn't been there moments ago, "You know Kate and Gerard likely won't survive this."

Allison nodded, "Yeah, I know," she answered quietly.

"You're okay with that?"

Allison scoffed a laugh, "I'm not okay with any of this," she gestured to the building behind her.

Stiles didn't respond. He too had felt the same way in the beginning.

"Learning everything I have...I'm a hundred percent on your side it's just..."

"Working with wolves?" Stiles smirked.

"I can't believe you are. How did that even..." She shook her head.

"Kate got me good when she caught me. I would have bled out. Don't know how I didn't to be honest," He lifted his shirt to reveal a still bright pink scar across his torso where Kate had gotten him with his own knife.

Allison frowned, pursing her lips at the sight.

"I had discovered Derek's whereabouts about a week before, but I didn't want to pursue it until I had more information. I got the information I needed and after Kate caught me...I had no where else to go. I showed up on Derek's door bleeding to death. He took me in without hesitation. Almost like he was expecting me."

"You trusted him in that state?" Allison would never have believed this story if it weren't coming directly from Stiles.

"He had told me that he wasn't the enemy. He claimed he wasn't the monster I thought him to be. I had no where else to go. I didn't know if Kate was alive. I didn't know what she was saying about me if she was. I didn't know what Chris knew. Hell, I didn't know what you knew. You'd been having me followed and it all..." Stiles shook his head, his eyes squeezed shut as he took in a deep breath.

Allison bit down on her lower lip and dropped her head, "I'm sorry. I shouldn't have had you followed. I was just worried about you."

"I know," Stiles looked to her with a reassuring smile.

"Anyway, I figured if Derek was telling the truth, then I'd be okay. If not...well, I was dying anyway with nowhere else to go."

"I don't think I would have had the guts to come to him. I'm glad you did. And I'm glad he's as trustworthy as you claimed. Corey is...he seems happy. I know he misses Mason but...Gerard would have him hunted if he knew. My mother..." Allison pursed her lips, blinking back tears.

"She should have lived. I know she would have loved you no matter how her DNA changed," Stiles offered, gently reaching for her hand.

Allison squeezed it and gave him a forced smile.

A comfortable silence fell over them as Stiles went back to cleaning his gun.

-

Derek sat with his head in his hands, elbows rested on the edge of the wooden pack table.

"How do we know this isn't some ploy to kill all of us?" Theo was sitting on a stool across from Derek with his arms crossed over his chest.

"He saved Boyd's life. He could have let him die. He also could have killed Derek out there, but he called for help. And he killed one of his own," Erica snapped, leaning over the table with glaring eyes.

"He almost did kill Derek; how can we trust that?" Theo countered.

"Theo," Derek's voice cut in, his tone calm but low, "I want you to know that I hear and understand your concerns, but as your alpha, I am assuring you that Stiles can be trusted. Allison as well. She could have easily taken Boyd to Gerard. He's my number two. They are not above torture."

"I'm just worried that you are letting your feelings cloud your judgement," Theo's tone was quiet, almost like he was afraid Derek would hear him.

Derek's eyes flashed, "If you doubt me so much then by all means, there's the door."

Theo flinched back.

"Is there anyone else who has this concern?" Derek's voice bellowed as he looked at the other members of his pack scattered around the room.

Silence.

"Has Stiles not proved himself?" Derek's voice was gentler now.

More silence.

"Please if any of you are uncomfortable, I want to know."

No one reacted.

"Raise your hand if you trust Stiles," Erica suggested, raising her own hand.

Multiple hands shot into the air.

Theo, Brett, and Jackson's hands were the only ones not up.

"Raise your hand if you trust Derek," Erica gave a smug smile as she met Theo's eyes.

Everyone's hands remained up. Brett and Jackson's hands raised this time.

Theo sighed but raised his hand.

Erica gave a beaming smile to Derek, "I don't think you have anything to worry about."

"Theo, I don't want you to feel uncomfortable. I know how hard this has been on all of you. Hunters killed your whole family and it's not easy to trust them after that, trust me, I know. But look at the chaos and turmoil Stiles has caused in the hunter community. They are so busy hunting him, that wolves aren't being hunted. They know the threat Stiles is to them and they fear him. We should take advantage of that fear. The chaos and turmoil are what we need. He's got other hunters doubting. We have Chris argent and his daughter on our side because of Stiles. I'm not asking you to trust him, just give him the benefit of the doubt and see where this goes. If he betrays us, you can be the one to hold him down when I kill him."

The room remained silent, all eyes on Theo.

With a heavy breath Theo nodded, "I trust you. I just see how much you care for him and...worry about you. But I believe you'll do what's best for the pack."

Derek deflated with relief. He just needed to give reassurance. He hated his pack doubting him. Despite his feelings for Stiles, he would always put the pack first.

*AN*
Hope you like it! 😊