Kate

Gerard's gun went off before Stiles even knew what was happening. He fell back into the wall behind him with a shout, his left shoulder seared with pain. Three inches lower and it would have been fatal. His vision shifted but he couldn't let Gerard get the better of him.

Stiles fired twice in return, only managing to skim Gerard's leg with his unsteady aim.

"Damn guns," Gerard snarled as he stumbled towards his desk. His gun still up and pointed at Stiles. Guns had always been Kate's weapon of choice.

Stiles pushed himself off the wall with a wince, his own gun still pointed at Gerard.

"You're a foolish child. You think you can undo all that I have built?"

A snarl in the door pulled their attention to Derek; his eyes alpha red and his claws extended.

The brief distraction allowed Gerard to grab for a nearby weapon. It looked similar to a crossbow but there was no arrow to be seen.

Gerard aimed at Derek.

Stiles without hesitation pulled the trigger once, twice, and then a third. Each one landing expertly in Gerard's chest.

But it was too late, the small projectile shot from the crossbow, landing in Derek's stomach.

Derek looked down to see a small dart sticking out of his torso. He barely felt it hit him. What he did feel was the searing pain that spread through him like fire.

Stiles pulled his attention from the lifeless body of Gerard to where Derek was dropping to his knees. His hands clutching where the dart had hit.

"Derek?" Stiles knelt next to him.

Derek gasped for breath as he slumped against the door frame.

"What is it? Derek?" Stiles dropped his gun, reaching for Derek's shirt. He pulled out the dart and lifted to see black veins spreading from the wound.

"Wolfsbane," Derek gasped.

"Okay, you've got a cure. It's fine," Stiles lifted Derek off of the door, propping him against his chest.

"Not to that one." Kate's voice yanked Stiles' attention up. His gun instantly back in his hand and up, pointed at Kate.

"Ah ah ah." Kate shook her head, her own gun pointed at Stiles. "I have the cure."

"What are you talking about?" Stiles sneered. His hands were shaking once again.

"That's a new rare type of wolfsbane. We've been working on a few things in your absence. It kills them quicker. He's got—" Kate tilted her head as if inspecting Derek's condition. "— a couple hours maybe."

Stiles' hand shook and his lips curled into a snarl, "You wouldn't help him."

"I will, but I want something in return." Kate grinned. Her voice purring like it did when she was being manipulative.

"What could you possibly want more than Derek's death?"

"You."

Stiles failed to hide the surprise on his face.

"You've ruined everything we've built. Turned my own niece and brother against me. You've killed your own kind." Kate's sweet tone was replaced with malice.

"No." Derek clutched at Stiles' chest.

Stiles didn't dare look away from Kate.

"Finish it," Derek begged.

Tears welled in Stiles' eyes. He didn't want to lose Derek. He couldn't.

"Oh kitten," Kate tsked, "is this love?"